• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear/transfer case question etc

XJ4Christ

NAXJA Forum User
Well i got under my jeep and got the following info. What can you all tell me about what i got in my jeep? :). I looked for the items on search on this site but didnt find anything. What I am curious is what I got and what I might need to build a decent XJ for not a lot of $ :).

Transfer Case "new process gear" 231J or 281J ... couldnt tell if a 3 or 8 (272 Ratio) Assy No. 5300 8208

Front Diff (307AF)

Rear Diff Dana 43225 (294 9) Rev-B, 08-29-88 (my jeep is a 1990) on left side along the axle numbers on top 35c and on bottom of axle on diff 9345.

I also am curious what you all recomend for lockers (rear and front). I have a friend who has a Toyota Treker who thinks my jeep is junk. I would like to make him eat crow in time (I dont have the $ to spend on my rig like he does), however he is running 33's and in process of running 35's with a lot of time and money in his rig at the moment.

All i have at the moment is a 3 inch lift running 31's and i have been working on the front end and shocks at the moment. My friend thinks I should "weld" the rear axle like he did on his, but I think that lockers are probably a better idea and I have heard that welding the rear axle on a XJ is not a good idea.

Thanks.

Last edited:
You have a high pinion Dana 30 front diff and a Dana 35 rear. Front is fine, rear is not (don't waste any time or money on it). You should try to find a good deal on a 8.25 rear or D44. 8.25's can usually be had cheaper for an XJ while the D44 is at least $300-400 depending on condition, etc. But can be had a little cheaper if you get lucky scouring the salvage yards.

The transfer case is a NP231 which is fine for now.

There is a lot of different ways to go and depending on what your true budget is. Lots of variables to explore. Take your time and you can start modding further by careful shopping here and on craigslist, etc.

You really need to decide how far you want to go/what kind of wheeling you want to do and then nail down a budget and go from there.

Its always (okay, almost always) quicker to get a response from the tech forums when asking questions relating to the 'how to' of your Jeep.
If you need help doing anything, by all means ask here, but many of us cruise the tech forums (both modified and stock) to lend a hand when we can.

Rick

You can find 8.25 and Dana 44's in the for sale forum all the time.
Like has been said before, if you want to build an axle, don't start with a dana 35. Its just too easy to upgrade, not to mention cheaper than having to rebuild a broken 35 every other trip out.

Thanks for the info :). I will probably run the rear Dana 35's until they break and then upgrade them. I am in process of redo the front end as well as shocks. I have added a rear leaf already as the rear sagged especially when i pulled a trailer with it and i was rubbing rear fender when i went 4x4 in it.

I was curious if i should weld the rear for time being or is that a waste of time and such until i get funds for a D44 or the 8.25 and lockers?

Back