• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Occassional no start, stumbling while driving

GregoryGosa

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 XJ Country 4.0L Automatic 2WD with about 253,000 miles and occassionally I will get the no start bug. It won't even attempt to crank. After a few tries it will start up without a problem but when I'm driving it feels like it's stumbling/misfiring on me. I just had the catalytic converter replaced today but the issue has been happening since about two days before that. Could it be a bad oxygen sensor?

I've had that happen to my 99 Classic, there were two conditions (at seperate times). One was the crank sensor, its failure was non intermitant (it would die, then start up sometimes, until it died). The second failure mode is the shifter poition sensor. On my car the auto shifter must be in PARK to start, if the sensor is acting up, I can cycle the shift handle through its positions once or twice and it will start when I position it back in PARK. Leme know what your results are...

I find it kind of odd that AutoZone.com says their Crank Position Sensor is for the manual transmission. I had to replace one on my 1990 Comanche a little while back and AutoZone.com didn't say it was for the manual transmission and was about half the price.

Back