• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ECM Interchangability

2jeepdrivers

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92' Xj that the computer went bad in and I have been scouring salvage yards for another one to no avail. According to the parts interchange at all of the yards I can only use the ECM from a 91-92 but to me I didn't see why I couldn't use one for a 91-96 does anyone know why I couldn't use one from the years I listed. If I can that would be great because I know where there are tons of 94-96's so if anyone knows the answer to this please let me know.

Yeah after you said that I knew 96' wouldn't work. I am thinking if I get some of the other years there may be some things different but as long as teh engine control part is the same I am fine with that this is an offroad only toy so as long as it runs I am good.

Just make sure the part numbers match up. Had the same problem with my 91. The guy I bought it off of had a part number from the dealership for the vin. that should of worked. Found out there were 3 options for that vin. but only 1 worked right. Victor

With the ones that weren't right would it run but was just throwing codes or was it not running right due to the sensor inputs beint different. From what I can tell all of the sensor inputs are the same.

It would crank but not fire. The ECM would trip the ASD relay and not let it run. Put the right one in and she fired right up and ran like a top. Victor

Back