• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unknown cut wire question?

Sabalon Glitz

NAXJA Forum User
Have noticed these 2 wires on my 88 xj with 4.0 ever since i've owned it. Can't find them going anywhere farther in the harness where they are cut. One is purple the other is white. Anyone know what they are for? Thanks in advance.
672665d33f71.jpg

From my '87 4.0L XJ:

Those wires are actually Violet w/white tracer and red w/white tracer. They lead to a three terminal (only 2 used) connector, they then turn to Red and white, which is the Crank Position sensor...

There was a recall that replace that plug and ran them straight to the ECM....(IIRC)

poorboy_616 said:
From my '87 4.0L XJ:

Those wires are actually Violet w/white tracer and red w/white tracer. They lead to a three terminal (only 2 used) connector, they then turn to Red and white, which is the Crank Position sensor...

There was a recall that replace that plug and ran them straight to the ECM....(IIRC)

Wonder why a recall because of a electrical plug? My 90 still has the plug in that area. One side goes down to the CPS and the other end through the FW to the ECM.

Thanks... I knew someone on here would know. I had noticed they are the same color as my cps wires. I had wondered if a previous owner had jerry rigged something or if i was missing something. Thanks again for the replies. This site has yet to let me down... ..unlike my jeep on occasion. :cheers:

it was a tsb to eliminate the bulkhead connector to give the cps a better connection to the pcm. if that was done, you may even have the "newer" pcm to help with that problem as well.

Back