• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What brand and viscosity oil does everybody use?

You will find most of us here, well, maybe not most but a large percentage, use synthetic from Mobil, Castrol, royal purple, valvoline, amsoil and a few others I can't remember right now.
Personally I use Mobil-1 10W30 in the engine, Mobil-1 ATF in the transfer case, Mobil-1 gl4 gear oil in the AX15 tranny but am switching to redline, the new Mobil-1 gear oil is GL5 rated which is not good for the AX trannies. I also use Mobil-1 gear oil in my front diff and Drydene w/additive in my 8.25 rear which has an auburn pro limited slip.
As for filters I use Mobil-1, K&N or factory mopar filters, I've had issues with other brands, very few use Fram, too much cardboard inside.

valvoline 10w40
purolater filters(heard they were bought out or design was changing, the few left in the garage might be my last)

I usually use dino oil. 10W30 in cold weather (Vermont), 15W-40 in summer. The 15-40 stuff is usually diesel rated, and may be found on different shelves. I have never had problems with good parts-store housebrands, such as Auto Value and NAPA, but I'll use whatever is on sale and not total junk. Recently Shell Rotella has been a pretty good buy. I get good filters, and change it with reasonable regularity, and that seems sufficient.

I use Valvoline synthetic oil in my AX-15, but have not had any issues with the fact that it's rated GL-5.

Shell Rotella 15-40 and Wix filters. 348,784.9 miles and counting can't be wrong.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but for the newbies...what are the fluids that should be monitoried, aside from the following?

1) Engine
2) Transfer case
3) Transmission
4) Differentials
5) Coolant

Also, with what regularity do you change these fluids?

Engine - Castrol, Valvoline, or Chevron 10W-40 dino every 3K.
Transfer Case - Castrol, Valvoline DexII/III every other year.
Transmission, AW4 - Castrol, Valvoline DexII/III every other year
Transmission, AX-15 - Sta-Lube 80W-90 GL-5 (looking for GL-3) every other year
Differentials - Sta-Lube 75W-140 GL-5 every other year
Coolant - Any "quality" ethylene glycol antifreeze 50/50 with DW or R/O W, flush and change every other year.
Brakes - Castrol LMA DOT3 every other year
Clutch - Castrol LMA DOT3 every other year

All filters WIX.

5-90

i run castrol syntech, keeps great compression with lucas additive in it. usually run 10w30 in winter, 10w40 in summer. but i think next summer im gonna start runing 15w oil in all my trucks.

ren said:
Shell Rotella 15-40 and Wix filters. 348,784.9 miles and counting can't be wrong.

x2

The wix filters are a good product and I run the rotella in my diesel. I would recommend both of them. I run mobile-1 synthietic 5w30 in my yota and really like it.

My father runs shaffer in his work trucks. It's a green paraffin wax based oil that was designed for use in heavy industry...Anybody ever heard of it or had any experiences with it???

dirtymuddog said:
i run castrol syntech, keeps great compression with lucas additive in it. usually run 10w30 in winter, 10w40 in summer. but i think next summer im gonna start runing 15w oil in all my trucks.

You beat me to it. Last weekend I changed all my fluids in my 98' 4.0L, AX15, NP231 with Red Line and love it. I used Red Line in everything but the engine where I used 5 quarts of Castrol GTX with 1 quart of Lucas and love how my oil pressure is staying up even at idle. I'm a believer. I added a little Lucas additive in with the Red Line gear oil as well.

Since you change the diffs, tranny fluid, and t-case fluid every other year, why not get the good stuff? It gives good peace of mind and is better to spend a little more on the good stuff than neglect lube and needing a new drivetrain part.

MT-90 75W90 Red Line in the AX15 3.3 Quarts

Red Line Dex 2/3 in the t-case a little over 1 Quart

75W90 Red Line diff fluid --about 1.5-2 Quarts in each diff (a little Lucas additive).

5 Quarts of Dino 10W30 (usually Quaker State SUV/High Mileage or Castrol GTX (I get at Sam's Club for less than $2/qt) and 1 quart of Lucas additive motor oil.

I use oil Fram filters with a oil magnet on the outside, I got this at Harbor Freight online (oil magnet-filters up to 2 Microns of metal particles I believe).

K&N cone filter guaranteed for Life/1 Million miles

Thanks for approximate quantities on these Kelley. :)

Last edited:
Royal Purple 20W50 and a K&N Filter. I was using Mobil 1 15W50, but I can get a deal on the Royal Purple and I like it better. The thick oil; well my engine ain't stock.

NAPA 10W-30 & NAPA GOLD Filters(Wix). Run it year round. JIM.

right now castrol synthetic but will be changing to amsoil in the engine
valvoline atf in the tc
amsoil gl4 in the tranny
amsoil in the diffs
super blue for brakes

So guys, is there anything to the old line that you shouldn't change from dino to synthetic after X number of miles?

I'm probably going to start doing my own changes and will switch to synthetic (Mobil) while I'm at it. The 2001 has ~100k miles on it, the 1998 has ~60k miles.

On the 96, w/136k

Engine - M1 0w40, Wix/Napa 51515, every 5k
Transfer case - Amsoil ATF, every 20k
Transmission - Amsoil ATF, every 30k, external Wix/Napa 51515 every 10k
Differentials - Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90, every 30k
Coolant - Zerex/distilled water/Redline Water Wetter, every 2 years
Brake - Valvoline Synpower DOT 4, every year
Power Steering - GM synthetic cold weather power steering fluid, Wix inline filter, every 30k

--Matt

Back