• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This is not a joke...interior lights won't go out

This sounds like the dumbest question ever, but they messed up my Jeep at the dealer today, and I can't get the interior lights to go off. I don't want to run the (brand new) battery down overnight since I won't be able to take it back to the dealer till sometime tomorrow, so is there any fuse/switch/relay or anything I can unplug to get them to turn off?

I feel like the biggest idiot for having to ask this, but I don't know what else to do...

Edited to add: I'm almost sure this has something to do with the re-aligning of the driver's side doors, but I've walked round the whole car, opening and closing all the doors, trunk, hood, etc, and nothing is beeping at me indicating it's not well closed, so I don't know...

uh have to ask, did you turn your headlight knob. My 2000 is switched there. Other wise possible door button damage on the drivers door, the button that pushes in and out to turn on the lights. Try thr sticky for fuse layout or pop the cover and pull the bulbs. Watch they'll be hot.

cbarto said:
uh have to ask, did you turn your headlight knob. My 2000 is switched there. Other wise possible door button damage on the drivers door, the button that pushes in and out to turn on the lights. Try thr sticky for fuse layout or pop the cover and pull the bulbs. Watch they'll be hot.

Yes I did turn the headlight knob. For some reason, it's only the big dome lights in the middle that are stuck on, not the smaller ones on either side of it...

Open each door one at a time and push on the light switch located in the door post and to try to locate the offending switch then put a wad of paper or something between it and the door then close the door.

techno1154 said:
Open each door one at a time and push on the light switch located in the door post and to try to locate the offending switch then put a wad of paper or something between it and the door then close the door.

OK I will give that a try. One question: where is the light switch located in the door post located??

NCjeepgirl83 said:
OK I will give that a try. One question: where is the light switch located in the door post located??

With the door open, it could be seen between the hinges. It is a little round bulb about the diameter of an AAA battery or smaller. The door pushes it when the door is closed. It usually move less than 1/2 an inch.

techno1154 said:
With the door open, it could be seen between the hinges. It is a little round bulb about the diameter of an AAA battery or smaller. The door pushes it when the door is closed. It usually move less than 1/2 an inch.

Yay! I found them! Thank you so much! The offending door was the driver's side back one, go figure, the one they supposedly re-aligned... I stuffed some paper towels between the door and the switch and the light went out. You are a Godsend! Thank you!!

Happy to be helpful.

If it happens again, there is a fuse for the interior lights. Refer to your owners manual for the fuse number. I believe it is Fuse #9 for my 95 XJ, but it will probably be different for your 99.

Well, they supposedly "fixed" the issue, only to have it act up again just as I was about to leave the dealership, so I got one of their guys over to look at it and he took it back to a tech who said that the switch on the door was bad, and he pulled it out as far as it would go, and that seemed to hold it. Till I got back home anyway...

I have checked Autozone, Pep Boys, and NAPA, and none of them have the particular part I need or don't carry it. Great, ain't it? So I guess I'll be going back to the dealer over the weekend to try and get it sorted...:(

Take the switch out & unplug it. JIM.

RenegadeT said:

Getting a new switch may all good but I doubt that will fit the problem.

I am 3,000+ miles away from my XJ so I will go from memory and what you said in your previous posts.
The drivers door switch is a 3 wire switch which activates lites and the buzzer. When mine went bad the lights did not work but the buzzer did.
With the door open, the switch extends and the lights come on. Compress the switch (using your hand) the lights go off. I think ths switch is working properly.
The lights stayed on only after the door was adjusted. Is it safe to assume the door is not pussing the switch in far enough after adjusting it to cause the switch to disconnect and effectively turning the lights off.
We need to think about this for a minute before assuming that a new switch is going to fix the problem.

:compwork: :soapbox:

Good point techno 1154 although you would think even the most incompetent tech could diagnose this -- perhaps just trying to sell an over priced switch.

Easy enough to check -- just push on the switch several times with your finger making sure it goes in all the way. If the lights don't go out, it's the switch or the associated wiring is shorting to ground. If they do go out, the door is misaligned and you need to add some thickness to the contact button as you did before. My guess is that they screwed up the wiring when they were messing with your door.

Sorry about the bad link. I guess it makes sense to actually check links after the post.

Pelican said:
Good point techno 1154 although you would think even the most incompetent tech could diagnose this -- perhaps just trying to sell an over priced switch.

Easy enough to check -- just push on the switch several times with your finger making sure it goes in all the way. If the lights don't go out, it's the switch or the associated wiring is shorting to ground. If they do go out, the door is misaligned and you need to add some thickness to the contact button as you did before. My guess is that they screwed up the wiring when they were messing with your door.

Sorry about the bad link. I guess it makes sense to actually check links after the post.

It must not be the switch then, because when I push it in all the way, the lights go out. So they f*cked it up by messing with my door. Great. That's what I get, i guess. Thing is, it was the front door they were supposed to mess with--it was the cause of the problem, but instead, they messed with the passenger door behind it, which was fine as it was.

I'm just sick and tired of stupid little things like this turning into much bigger deals than they should have been. I guess I just should have left it alone to begin with, but after several years of scraping the paint off my back door, I kinda wanted something to be done about it. :(

NCjeepgirl83 said:
It must not be the switch then, because when I push it in all the way, the lights go out.
It could still be the switch, If I recall correctly they are adjustable (once) at installation.

I'm just sick and tired of stupid little things like this turning into much bigger deals than they should have been. Story of my life

:(

Back