• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to get an 86 fsm?

grizz78 said:
Like the title says Where can I get an '86 factory service manual?

Check eBay, or look for an outfit that does reprints of manuals (for some odd reason, www.books4cars.com comes to mind, but I'm not sure why.)

The problem is that the early XJ FSMs were only issued by AMC, and we all know what happened to them 20 years ago. ChryCo didn't reissue FSMs before 1988, and even a 1987 wouldn't work for you...

Are you looking for anything specific? While most of the 1987FSM wouldn't even work for you, there's some assembly-specific stuff you can dig up from other sources (transmission, axles, transfer case, and engines come to mind. Some chassis information could be adapted. Electrics? Not so much.)

5-90 said:
Electrics? Not so much.)

Not much electronics on an 86', though the Haynes manuals have schematics back to 84' for both "Cali" and "Everywhere else" models.

Because of that, I recomend the Haynes manual for good general knowledge. It also has torque specs, teardowns, etc.

Matthew Currie said:
If you have a specific question, I have an 84-87 looseleaf FSM temporarily in my possession, which should have info for all the years between, and may be able to look something up.

Yeah - "temporarily." I will be wanting that...:sunshine:

Side note - there's a distinct possibility we could end up buying the house we're now in. I'd not mind - I bloody hate moving, I've lost track of how many times I've had to do it, and I don't want to do it again for a while. It's bad enough to have to do it on my own - moving my MIL is a logistical nightmare...

Back