• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing trailer light wiring harness

buzxj

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my trailer light wiring harness on my 99 xj and it has a mind of its own now! First, the wiring harness it had when I bought it looks factory, it did not work because one of the pins was broken. I cut it at the rubber gasket where it goes into the back of the rear pillar, and replaced it, now if you use the turn signals all of the lights on my boat trailer blink,and if you hit the brakes no lights at all. I double checked my wiring and they all look right. It's not the boat trailer wiring because it works fine with other trucks. Does anyone know where the factory wiring goes after it enters the rubber gasket on the back, or where it ends up, I heard that it went somewhere under the middle of the dash but don't really know. Any ideas on the best way to fix this? Thanks, Buz

If you don't have a plug and play trailer wire harness, get one. The cut and splice type of trailer wire harnesses develop these kinds problems and are hard to diagnose and repair.

The rear tail/signal light wire harness goes behind the plastic trim on the cargo area, drivers side. This is where you disconnect the plug and install your plug and play wire harness.

Back