• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Q: Budget/Junkyard or Rusty's 3"?

dedmete

NAXJA Forum User
Time to lift my Jeep. I'm on a budget (like everyone else) but I want 3-4" of lift. I really like the price of the Rusty's 3" (full leaf pack) for what it offers. My biggest issue is that the whole suspension is pretty much shot. Broken coil, leafs are in really rough shape, shocks are just there for looks. Most of the budget/junkyard lifts I've read about involve using some of the old parts (i.e. top leaf for the s-10 leaf pack). Just not sure what to do. Opinions appreciated. This is the budget lift I was looking at:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

If your suspention is shot now, combining any part of it for a bastard pack lift will be a bad idea. I would get a complete kit. Even consider a Rubicon Express kit as they are a bit more complete.

I'd vote for the junkyard route if you are really tight on funds. If your leafs are completely shot you could just get another set of stockers along with your MJ/S10 leafs.

I'm running a bastard pack built from MJ leafs underneath my stock top leaf, Ford F100 coils with a spacer and Monroe shocks. I only payed about $50 bucks for the parts from the junkyard, $75 for the shocks, $20 for the spacers and $50 for the swaybar disconnects.

+1 for Rusty's! I'm running their 3" HD kit at the moment, just stuck in some of their adjustable control arms and tracbar. Also just stuck in some 1.75" spacers and 1.5" boomerangs.

The 3" HD kit is the same price as the standard 3" kit. Ride is still soft but you get a 30lb higher spring compression rate with the HD kit, so it is a no brainer considering it's the same price. They only offer the HD kit with the 3" kit for some reason though.

dont forget to check your local craigslist and naxja chapter for used lifts. that might end up being the best route of all. full packs and coils for a decent price when you can find them. junk yard is very inexpensive but dont forget that death wobble and driveline vibes can get really expensive so whatever lift you do be ready to address the two. (worn steering components, axle shims, t case drop, maybe sye, new driveshaft u joints, control arm bushings, etc...)

I'm running a rough country 4.5" and have had good luck with it. I think it is one of the cheapest out there. Good flex and the highway ride is only a little rougher than stock IMHO. I think mine was $499 with AAL's and a couple hundred more for full packs.

Back