• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some flare/fender re-shaping

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
So I got sick of my ridiculously faded and constantly falling off fender flares. So it was time for a change. I took them off and realized half of the mounting studs were snapped, and quite a few loose. The bracket itself was also all bent outta shape, so the flare wasn't flush with the fender anymore and looked like chit. I decided it was time to shape the flares and trim the fenders. Not done yet, but here's some progress pics.

Old Flare
DSC02044.jpg

Removed
DSC02043.jpg

Hacked up with jigsaw (work excellent btw)
DSC02045.jpg

Sanded the burrs from the edges
DSC02046.jpg

Painted, and threw on some molding for a clean look
DSC02047.jpg

DSC02048.jpg

go higher on the front, you will not regret it!, I used large fender washers and 1/4 inch hardware to reinstall mine , 4 bolts per side and a zip tie on the very front. easier to remove and install and you can throw the shaped metal parts away

I put mine all the way to the body line and it is great for what I have. I say cut more take it up high and get some installed pics.

xjspeed011.jpg

slcpunk74 said:
I put mine all the way to the body line and it is great for what I have. I say cut more take it up high and get some installed pics.

xjspeed011.jpg

looks good and not out of place. I kept my flares whole. (sticky cops, don't wanna risk it)

put the flare back in the stock position....mark the top edhe of the flare on the fender....cut on that line.....DONE

no more worrying about those damn fenders
DSC00666.jpg

Yea but when it's super hot and and you wanna mud with the windows down, it comes straight in. Also plasters them so you can't see. Also illegal. And yea, I have gotten a repair order for it so I'd rather not mess with the hassle...

But, they will be repositioned up to the body line.

bcmaxx said:
looks good and not out of place. I kept my flares whole. (sticky cops, don't wanna risk it)

I get bothered for my lack of mud flaps but never since I did this has any cop said anything about my flares. The police usually do have a list of things to talk about other then the flares so maybe they just dont get time.:yelclap:

Here's a couple more

DSC02049.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

I had some time on my hands, and had to clean a lot of crap off the fender so I just took the whole thing off and coated the bottom with herc, it came out great but I'm debating taking the fender opening up higher.

DSC02051.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

that a boy thats real high!

While the fender was off I also put some cheap duplicolor spray on bedcoating on the inside of the fender. Hopefully it will stiffen it up a little, maybe quiet things? If nothing else just rust protection... I also cut and folded the pinch seam by the firewall. It looked like it could cut right through a tire.

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02057.jpg

Plenty of clearance now.
DSC02058.jpg

Got everything put back together today. I think it looks pretty fresh. Definitely better than what was on before.

Before. Note the distance between the top of the tire to the flare.
DSC02059.jpg

After. Much more room to breathe.
DSC02060.jpg

DSC02062.jpg

Back