• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mammoth Lakes Area Trials with Picutres

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
My family and I have been going up to the Eastern Sierras for over 15 years. We usually stay at Convict Lake camp ground and do much fishing and hiking. It has only been the last couple years that I have been exploring the number of different jeep trails in the area. They are not very difficult but very fun and beautiful. The difficulty is based off a 4x4 book I have.

Trail: Convict Lake Overlook
Difficulty: Easy
Location: Right before you turn off to the Convict Lake campground.
FamilyReunion296.jpg

FamilyReunion298.jpg

FamilyReunion310.jpg

Trail: Deadman Pass
Difficutly: Easy
FamilyReunion338.jpg

FamilyReunion362.jpg

FamilyReunion408-1.jpg

FamilyReunion363-1.jpg

Trail: Silver Canyon / Ancient Bristle Cone Forest
Difficulty: Easy
Picture160.jpg

Picture209.jpg

Picture219.jpg

Picture237.jpg

Picture266.jpg

Picture310.jpg

Last edited:
Trail: Sand Canyon
Difficulty: Moderate
Location: Between Mammoth Lakes and Bishop along the ridge of Rock Creek.
FamilyReunion127.jpg

FamilyReunion193.jpg

FamilyReunion167.jpg

FamilyReunion210.jpg

FamilyReunion232.jpg

Trail: Laurel Lakes
IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1374.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

Last edited:
FordGuy said:
We really need to plan a trip up there. Motel 6 for a couple days, hit some of the back country with our fishing poles and Ice Chests!

The "lake" out of Sand Canyon is more of a developing meadow with no fish that I was able to see or catch. Laurel Lakes on the other hand have golden trout but are hard to catch. I believe they are pretty deep.

mavrick said:
Trail: Laurel Lakes
My favorite; I've never caught anything there, though, but I love it up there.
Have you ever made it out to Funnel Lake? It's a bit more of a drive but well worth it.

Bent said:
My favorite; I've never caught anything there, though, but I love it up there.
Have you ever made it out to Funnel Lake? It's a bit more of a drive but well worth it.

Funnel lake is out of Coyote Flats trail. Its located out of Bishop. That trail is a good overnight trail with a couple lakes you could drive to and a number of others that can be reached by hiking. Thats on my list for maybe next year.

mavrick said:
Funnel lake is out of Coyote Flats trail. Its located out of Bishop.
That's right. Now I remember where I was when I made it out there. We stayed in Bishop for a couple of days before heading north. I saw it on the map and wanted to find out how it got its name. There are some beautiful areas for camping in and along the way.

Whoa, I thought I had a post here (before this one) but, then I realized you posted this in the Sierra chapter as well!......again, beautiful pictures!--------Hans

What are the rules/regs on camping up there?

HawkZero said:
What are the rules/regs on camping up there?

For the most part there are already campsites along these trails. Really you can camp anywhere but I think you can't have camp fires above 10,000. That is because of a lack of wood.

We really need to plan a trip up there. Motel 6 for a couple days, hit some of the back country with our fishing poles and Ice Chests!

YES!

Wow, that is some GREAT scenery! :confused1

Back