• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Springs

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I own 1989 and 1977 XJs. The 1989 ride is harsher over road surface transients (bumps, potholes, etc.). Are the newer XJ front springs progressive rate accounting for the softer ride over disturbances like these?

Thanks,

Rick

90xj06 said:
its a jeep what do you want?

that said i have to say it is very bumpy.

SPOBI. Your post makes no sense.

Your shocks can be taken into account when it comes to ride quality, just not the springs. Try some Grand Cherokee (ZJ) front springs, they may ride better. My .02.

Also, RAVC1, did you mean you have an 1989 and a 1997? The full size Cherokees, were not XJ's, but refered to a FSJ's.

90xj06 said:
i have new shocks and no improvement. and yes they are broken in.

Well, yes. It isn't going to ride like a Caddy or a Bentley, but buying softer, compared to firmer shocks, can make the ride better. Compare some crap auto parts brand shock to an OME shock, you should be able to tell the difference.

well true they where the cheapest ones i could get. but it is a jeep. if you want it to drive like a caddy. glue the caddy hood ornament on it.

Yes; both of my Jeep's are Cherokee's. The 1997 Sport has a softer ride on asphalt/pavement than the 1989 Laredo so I'm trying to determine why. My guess is that at some time Jeep/Chrysler got smart and recognized this issue and migrated the vehicle platform to progressive (dual-rate) front springs.

Rick

Back