• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard jewels...Grand Cherokee skids and MORE!

Kahn Strictor

NAXJA Forum User
I got the itch to go salvaging today and came across some items that raised a few questions, please chime in and add some input.

First off I found a 93 Grand Cherokee with the fuel tank skid, transfer case skid and front skid. I know the tank skid works on XJs and after some test fitting I figured out the transfer case skid works too, it's much wider than the XJs and covers quite a bit but has a few large clean-out holes....anyone ever used one of these or have input? How about the front skid, anyone have input on these? I know the police edition XJs had one from the factory but I seldom ever see anyone running one on their rig......pros/cons/thoughts?

Along with the 93 Grand Cherokee transfer case skid I also scored some 95 Isuzu Trooper (also found on the Rodeo) tow hooks and 95 GM fullsize pickup shackles, to be added the next time I tear my rig down.

I found several other vehicles with nice skids and was wondering if anyone has tried them out?......Isuzu Troopers/Rodeos, Toyota 4-Runners, Land Rovers, Explorers, Expeditions, Blazers, Suburbans, Tahoes, Pathfinders

Most of the aforementioned vehicles undercarriages are guarded to the hilt with thick aluminum or heavy steel skids, if any of them can be swapped there'd not be a vulnerable XJ anywhere.....they were all over the damn place!

A few other items caught my eye and got me wondering.....first off, the Monteros have a sweet little set of third row seats that could easily be adapted to XJs.

Secondly, I've been researching axles lately (twas my purpose for salvaging today, they had a 88 Woody and I was hoping it had a D44 but no dice...it was a junk D35) anyways...I got to looking at a couple of 98-99 Durangos and was curious as to what axle was used and if they'd be a nice upgrade? I know they're some beefy looking bastards, the tubes looked slightly larger than the 8.8s and the differentials were ginormous thick cast that made the D60s look like the gearbox on a riding mower.

The third item that sparked interest were Durango fender flares, the rear ones looked weird as they split onto the doors but the front ones look pretty slick as the front edge is high like the Wranglers and chopped-fender XJs.

Next on the list are the rear control arms of the Toyota 4-Runners, they appear to be made from heavy DOM tubing and may work on the front of a highly lifted XJ with a little love from a grinder and hammer (they're very similar to the control arms used on the Trackers, Sidekicks and Samurais which are already known to be junkyard upgrades) they appear to be beefier and made better than those on the Samis/Trackers/Sidekicks....have any input?

Lastly, GM uses some really nice overhead consoles in their minivans and I believe I also saw one in one of their SUVs...anyone scoped or tried one out?

Hopefully you guys were able to stay awake long enough to read all of this and add to the list!
thumbs.gif

Wm

not sure about the Durango but my Dakota R/T had a 9.25 rear end in it.

Kahn Strictor said:
Excellent addition!

Wm

It really is an easy swap, and great if you are doing a waggy front to match the lug pattern (or an HP44 wh/chevy outers). I have had no issues with mine -- one word of caution though, JP missed that there are multiple widths of Isuzu axles (there is a thread on here somewhere where they are identified) - I know my 94 is 58" WMS to WMS, and if it were any narrower, I wouldn't have been able to fit my leaf spring perches between the disk backing plates-- so be careful when you pull it out of the yard that it is wide enough...

funvtec said:
not sure about the Durango but my Dakota R/T had a 9.25 rear end in it.

pretty sure thats the same that is in the durango..along with fullsize rams. its an alright axle...nothin to get excited about

The XJ factory front skids aren't any good, thats why no one runs them. After you bend the crap out of the weak P.O.S. you have to take it off & it's a pita to remove when bent. I used to be proud of my factory H D skids but they haven't held up very well under heavy abuse. The t/c & gas tank skids are worth using if they are cheap enough though. I wasted my tank skid in the rocks,but it did its job. I'll be reinforcing it after I straighten it.

cherokee chuck said:
The XJ factory front skids aren't any good, thats why no one runs them. After you bend the crap out of the weak P.O.S. you have to take it off & it's a pita to remove when bent. I used to be proud of my factory H D skids but they haven't held up very well under heavy abuse. The t/c & gas tank skids are worth using if they are cheap enough though. I wasted my tank skid in the rocks,but it did its job. I'll be reinforcing it after I straighten it.

Would you say the Grand Cherokee skids are better? To me, it definately looks like the transfer case skid is better with the only downside I see being the large cleanouts that could be a stick catcher.

Wm

xj-grin said:
It really is an easy swap, and great if you are doing a waggy front to match the lug pattern (or an HP44 wh/chevy outers). I have had no issues with mine -- one word of caution though, JP missed that there are multiple widths of Isuzu axles (there is a thread on here somewhere where they are identified) - I know my 94 is 58" WMS to WMS, and if it were any narrower, I wouldn't have been able to fit my leaf spring perches between the disk backing plates-- so be careful when you pull it out of the yard that it is wide enough...

Don't mean to hijack, but does anybody know how much a D44 out of a Pre 98 Rodeo/Passport would cost, and what would be involved with the swap (pre 98 models were leaf sprung... but i'm assuming it wouldn't be a direct swap)?

This caught my attention b/c of the fact that you can find them with 4.56s, trac-lok and disc brakes. I figure doing that swap could potentially cost less than regearing the 8.25 that I currently have.

ah never mind. they're spring under. that was a stupid question... if they were a direct swap everyone would be doing it. i need sleep lol.

still though, anybody have any idea on cost and what would be involved in a swap?

cherokee chuck said:

i like my front skid, i welded some 1/4 inch angle to the inside of it, near the factory bends, i run over alot more tree's than most, and this thing takes all the beatings, i often clean bark out of it it's still pretty straight and true.

not too many rocks here in florida, but i would imagine if you were damaging this, you'd be hurting the turdy30, if you have stock steering, it'd be wasted before this skid.

you do mean the one that goes in front of the front axle right?:party:

btfury said:
ah never mind. they're spring under. that was a stupid question... if they were a direct swap everyone would be doing it. i need sleep lol.

still though, anybody have any idea on cost and what would be involved in a swap?

Here in Colorado they can be found at the pick-n-pull for @ $100. You will likely need to replace seals and such ($40), and likely rotors as well ($300 - ouch!!) and calipers ($80), pads and shoes ($30). Weld on spring perches for $20 at the local 4x store, some minor mods to make your stock ebrake cables work with the integrated drum brakes, some RTV and 90 wight..... You could be in business for $600 or less... That is about what I have into my 4.30geared version, along with another $100 for an aussie locker.

Back