• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start...again

js_customs

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I posted earlier in the month about having no start issues with my 88 4.0 xj http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=959425&highlight=stalling+no+start....I replaced the 6 year old wal-mart battery after getting it tested and finding that it wasnt holding a charge most of the time. After that, it seemed to run fine. I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the ccv line since that was shot and it was running better than it has been in several years.

Today, I went out to the Jeep to take my girlfriend to class and it cranked and cranked but wouldn't start. Before when the battery was bad, it would crank and sputter but wouldnt start. I took her car to class and came back tried to start it again. When it wouldn't start, I checked the fuel pressure, which was fine. I then disconnected the battery and reconnected it. After that, it started up again.

This is really confusing and kind of annoying. Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong? Last time it died, I did the same thing and it started. I was thinking maybe the cps, but I don't understand why it starts after I reconnect the battery. I'd like to figure out what's wrong so I dont get stranded again.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post
matt

I just replaced my CPS. Every couple days it would crank without starting. If I unplugged the sensor (near the back of the valve cover) and plugged it back in, it would start.

Yeah, I was thinking that it might be the CPS too, but its just kind of confusing that when I take the battery cables off and reconnect them that it started. It seemed to be running good last night and then it just wouldnt start this morning. I'll def. check the CPS though...anybody else have any ideas?

It's cool, I didnt think you were being a smart ass. Next time it decides not to start I'll try unplugging the CPS instead of the battery. I was just asking if there was anything else it could be besides the cps.

It could be a lot of things... but that seems to be the most likely at this point. I'd continue to troubleshoot the CPS until you fix the problem or eliminate it as the cause. Just one of those gremlins you love to hate!

Yeah, I mentioned this in the other thread but not this one...The TPS is adjusted to .825, the MAP sensor, IAC, and CTS were replaced recently, and the oxygen sensor was replaced about a year ago. I've never replaced the CPS on this Jeep and I've had it for 5 years now so I think you guys are probably right that it would the CPS. Rockauto has them for under $30, so I'll just order one anyway and replace it. I appreciate everyone's input.

Back