• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAX AC stops working

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
So its been hot the last few days and I have been running the AC and usualy it just me but I was driving around with people in the back so I was trying to cool the whole jeep down.

The MAX AC would stop putting out cold air after a few min of use, but the regular AC would be fine at max fan. What normaly causes this? Their is no change in the air flow, and if changed back to normal AC its nice and cold.

I have had it happen once or twice on other vehicels but that was normaly after a few hours of MAX AC, and seamed more of a default return to Normal AC since the other cars have all been more "auto" and had push buttons and not a manual control leaver.

I recharged the system and the pressure is in the green. doesent it stop working on MAX when the AC pump heats up to much or something? but why does that explain why it started blasting cold air the moment i moved it back to regular AC?

Any help would be good. Thanks

Note to MOD: this is a double post from the Modified Tech section. you can remove that thread or ahve that thread redirect to this one. thank you

any one?
Bump

thermo switch kicking out?too cold? whats your high side pressures like

im no expert but it sounds like the blend door is allowing warm air in if it cools the second you switch it to reg a/c do u hear the door moving when u switch it

I have not checked the high pressure side yet because the kit to do that is 50 bucks just for the hooking up, not for any of the cans.

It runs nice cold air when its on max AC for the first few min. and yesterday when it was not as hot I was running max AC all day and it was fine, never went warm during the trips I was taking.

My guess is that it's icing. Mine does that too even in normal AC mode, especially when it's humid. I'm not sure what the cure is, but I usually just turn off the air, put it to vent, and eventually, it thaws, blows nice and cold for a while, and when it starts to warm up again, I put the AC back on. I suspect that there's something amiss with the system, but at 200K+ miles, it's surprising enough that it works at all, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

Max AC on the Jeep is the only setting in which it recirculates rather than taking in fresh air. I don't know why that would make a difference, but it is a difference, and perhaps it's relevant.

Back