• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front of XJ leaning to one side

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
First let me say my 97 XJ is getting my 99s axles/steering and my RE 4.5" lift in a few weeks, so if you think that would solve this issue let me know. I am assuming its a tracbar issue or something of the sort and yes some of the bushings looks worn on the suspension as well.

So I notice the driverside of the Jeep is about 1"-1.5" taller on the drivers side and also with the Jeep in park I can turn the tires and the right side of the Jeep looks to lift up as the tires turn or either the pass side dips down. I've never had this happen with my 99 with the RE suspension so I am not sure whats causing it. Also my TREs on the steering are worn out, especially the one on the pitman arm.

So is it a tracbar issue or something else? If it has to do with the steering or suspension then I am not gonna worry since its all getting chunked soon anyways. I don't see anything on the axle or body to shaow any damage or anything either.

I seem to have the same situation although the height difference is only about 1/2" - 1" and that was before my 3.5 RE lift, after the lift I can still notice a slight height difference. I would sure like to know what's up as well.

The lean is caused by the steeper Panhard bar angle that a lift produces. As the angle of the Panhard increases, it actually imparts a vertical force on the drivers side of the vehicle. Think of the extreme case, i.e. if the Panhard was vertical, it would actually act as a prop rod. As you steepen the angle, you approach this condition.

check and see if your front coils are seated properly, there is a stop on the axle coil bucket that the end of the spring is supposed to sit against, if one of the springs is turned out of position it will cause it to lift more

also, may want to check the rear of your xj. are the leaf springs in good shape or is one sagging more than another? how are the leaf bushings?

every xj i have seen has a lean to it. mine is about 1" higher on drivers side but when i get in it becomes -1" :)

i need to go on a diet.

POSXJGuy said:
every xj i have seen has a lean to it. mine is about 1" higher on drivers side but when i get in it becomes -1" :)

Not true. Correct the Panhard angle and there is no lean.

Yeah my 99 sits perfectly level.

I think if I take the 2" spacers off the 4.5" coils it would help. I was wondering I noticed on the axle side of the tracbar there has been a drop kit added, wouldn't this make it worse or what?

You can see how the tracbar is actuall under the axle:

jeepforsale2.jpg

Last edited:
ZachMan said:
I was wondering I noticed on the axle side of the tracbar there has been a drop kit added, wouldn't this make it worse or what?

Yes, the steeper the angle, the worse it gets.

Fullsizexj said:
check and see if your front coils are seated properly, there is a stop on the axle coil bucket that the end of the spring is supposed to sit against, if one of the springs is turned out of position it will cause it to lift more

I agree my Jeep leaned to the passanger side, then I found out that the coils weren't set right. It made the whole Jeep lean a lot.

Back