• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE, Driveshaft and transmission questions.

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting an 88 Comanche, and I got some questions before i finish it.

Question 1:
Its a 2wd to 4wd conversion project, and all that needs to be done is a trans/t case swap. The comanche is a steering column shift, and the XJ that the new trans and T case are out of is a floor shift. Will I run into any problems?

Question 2:
The T case has an SYE on it. does this mean i have to get an SYE driveshaft built for the comanche, since it was off a cherokee? With a SYE, it takes the slip yoke part out of the transfer case, and puts it in the driveline, correct?

I hope someone can answer the questions for me, I really need some help on this one.

Just use all column shift brackets off the 2wd tranny and they bolt right up to the tranny. Yes you will need a rear shaft built or the XJ shaft lengthened.

longbed or shortbed? which rear axle do you have in it?

i had a double cardan shaft built with a slip for the rear of my 87 shortbed mj (which i also converted to 4wd) which measures 45-1/4" from center to center (of ujoints) at mid-slip.

SSPX0175-1.jpg

SSPX0176.jpg

SSPX0151.jpg

are you lifting this truck? if not, you DO NOT want nor need the SYE transfercase. even at 6.5" of lift on a comanche, you DON'T need a SYE. cherokees do because of more extreme operating angles...whereas comanches can get away without it because of the longer wheelbase.

i had an SYE t-case and was going to 6.5" of lift anyways, so i just went with the SYE. don't recommend it for a stock-height MJ.
this is my mj btw, and it does ride nice and flex well with the SYE in the rear
SSPX0202.jpg

you just need a slip-shaft.

you could run a double cardan slip-shaft like I have, but it's pretty much not necessary with it being a longbed. just a slip would suffice.

however, if you'd like to run a double cardan shaft, simply get an xj stock front driveshaft, and have them retube it to be longer. it may be a little thin, but have them up the thickness of the tube as well and you will be all set.

now what to do about that dana 35 (if you plan to upgrade, do it now or you will spend another $150 having a shaft built)

Back