• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating mystery

broqenjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Overheated my 88 4L

NEW PARTS
water pump, 180 t-sat, head gasket, 16 lb R-cap, fan clutch

Dad thinks its an airflow issuse do too custom grill made from hvac grill for drop ceilings. I'm not sure I also have 1 inch blocks between hood and hinges. just drove 30 min. mostly at 75 temp 210 out side air temp 80s.
I think the cylinder head is warped?:doh:

Okay, your communication skills are a bit subpar, but we'll try to help...

Are you saying you can drive 30 minutes at 75mph, and not overheat? But that it will overheat at other times?

Given that little information, I guess it does sound like airflow. Does your electric fan come on?

Robert

Okay....you need to explain better what's going on here.....

You overheated your engine, so you THEN replaced the water pump, etc...?

or you replaced those parts and THEN you overheated it?

And now the temp runs at 210? (thats normal temp BTW) How about a pic of your custom grille?

and what makes you think the head is warped? do you have a blown head gasket or a leak (coolant in oil, oil in coolant)?

MF

Robert 771 said:
Okay, your communication skills are a bit subpar, but we'll try to help...

Dude! Don't you text? That's obviously a texting/English mix! lol

I had problems with my XJ getting hot about every 4 months. I finally replace the radiator and I haven't had an overheat since. I still want to have the old radiator repaired (I want to have it as a backup), but I think it had a very very small leak that I could not see until I started taking it out.

I replaced my 2 core with a 3 core. I was told the tube sizes were the same, just an additional row.

And yes we need pictures. :photo:

Sorry for the confusion. I replaced water pump 2 months ago. Had to Helicoil the block because the threads ripped out. New T-sat as well( high flow robert shaw 180) . I think the head gasket went because of the new pump. I replaced it. Now it still overheats.

broqenjeep said:
Now it still overheats.

When? All the time? Just when sitting/idling? Around town?

Does the electric come on? Like xcm asked, are you sure there's no air in the system?

Help us, help you...

Robert

Mudderoy said:
Dude! Don't you text? That's obviously a texting/English mix! lol

I had problems with my XJ getting hot about every 4 months. I finally replace the radiator and I haven't had an overheat since. I still want to have the old radiator repaired (I want to have it as a backup), but I think it had a very very small leak that I could not see until I started taking it out.

I replaced my 2 core with a 3 core. I was told the tube sizes were the same, just an additional row.

And yes we need pictures. :photo:

no thts nt txting. txtings mor lik ths

you didnt say that youve replaced the radiator, have you? running at 210 is normal for renix. try hood vents too. and i agree with properly burping the renix, along with a spring in the return line.

Back