• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with tire choice...

98CherokeeSport

NAXJA Forum User
I live in Washington where we get quite a bit of rain and sometimes snow. I have a 1998 Cherokee Sport that I drive to work and school. I sometimes take it offroad but not on hardcore stuff. i am buying a 3.5" lift next week and i want to buy some 31" tires for my jeep also.

Should I buy BFG Mudterrains or Allterrains?
What is your experience with both?

I'd buy the mud terrains. I live in in western Wa. & have had both BFG A/T & M/Ts . The A/Ts always pack up with mud. You'll get stuck in wet grass! They ride nice on the street & they're ok in rocks but they suck in mud & that's a lot of what you'll see in your area. There are a lot of good agressive all terrain tires out there but in my experience the BFG A/T is not a good tire off road for this area. I think Pro-Comp has a much better all terrain tire. I think the BFG M/T is a great tire though. It's reasonably quiet and works great off road. It's a way quieter tire than my Maxis Bighorns.

Are there any other good mudterrains besides BFG that you would recomend?

personally, i liked my maxxis mudders. had them in 32s the did pretty well in everything i wanted. they balanced easy with 7 oz of air soft bbs. the plus is that they are kinda cheap. got the 32s at 115 each. think there 135 now not sure

:dunno: What's the deal with Maxis Mudders? they're cheaper than the Bighorns but they have similar tread & come in the a lot of the same sizes. If I'd seen them first I probably would have bought them instead.

Maxxis tires rule! I've run the Mudzillas, the Creepy Crawlers, and the Trepadors, and I have a set of Bighorns for my current project. Their trailer tires fully rock too! I've never run the Mudders, but have yet to be disappointed in a Maxxis tire.

Alright I might have to check the Maxxis out. Who sells them?

I got my Maxxis Big Horns on eBay. They were the cheapest place including shipping. I love them, they just plain work no matter what the terrain and they wear well on the road.

they are really cheap on ebay and there is free shipping. but i dont know if i feel safe with buying tires through ebay.

any other suggestions?

well i need a tire that is good in rain, snow, and mud.

So i have read around and i think im gonna go with the maxxis. i am on a budget and these seem like good bang for my dollar.

thanks for the input everyone!
:party:

98CherokeeSport said:
well i need a tire that is good in rain, snow, and mud.
Look at the Coopers. Mud tires suck on the street!!

Actually those Buckshots don't look too street unfriendly. I'd want to get them siped though..

MT-754BuckshotMudder.jpg

I got my Maxxis Bighorns on Ebay. No problems at all. Look at the feedback of the seller. If there is a lot of it and it's almost all good, you're probably pretty safe.

winkosmosis said:
Mud tires suck on the street!!

I have driven my on the street for 2 years with my Maxxis tires on there and I love them. They work in rain, snow, sleet, and they aren't that bad on ice. They balanced well after I got a rim that wasn't out of round. They are wearing nice and they aren't that loud.

I have toyo mt tires in 33 12.5. They have been great for me. I had snow to the top of my tires and it did awesome. I have heard and seen people run these tires past 60,000 miles. But yes they are kinda spendy

Back