• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Control Fuse 1 Keeps Blowing

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
:mad:

The Engine Control Fuse 1 is in the PDC under the hood, it cuts power to the Ignition Coil for sure, and I think it cuts power to the fuel pump, but I have the stock fuel pump wiring bypassed. So for me, it cuts power to the ignition coil, therefore no spark and no start. The starter and fuel pump function just fine.

Drove the Jeep for over a year, without issue.

Then the fuse blew a while back and I replaced the CPS thinking it was that and eventually found out it was the fuse.

I replaced the fuse and drove for a few weeks and it died again.

Replaced it again and drove for another few weeks.

Replaced it again and drove it until tonight.

Replaced it with a 50 amp fuse(should be a 30 amp) because all the auto parts stores were closed and we had one of those(they're the big honkin' ones).

It started up and ran for about 2 seconds and died.

Smelled burning, and the fuse was blown.

Any frickin' ideas?

now that nobody has responded i feel really bad for my sarcasm. How much do you know about electronics? with the wiring diagram in the chiltons and a multimeter your shoud be able to trace it down pretty easy.

Okay, so I'm about a foot away from beginning a part-out.

I did all the wire tracing I could. I got it all running and went and jiggled every connection and loom of wire I could see. I checked every length of wire that was even remotely near anything that moves.

The most I found was an open, live wire in the loom that leads to the headlight/turn signal/aux fan/ds horn, and I cut it off and heatshrinked the end thinking that might have been the problem.

I replaced the fuse and started it up three times and revved the engine and stuff.

I let it sit for a few hours and moved it out of the driveway later on in the evening... and it started up with no issue.

I went to leave for work this morning and it told me no.

Popped two fuses right in a row, just like last time. I don't even know what to do anymore.

This has only happened once while driving, and I'm thinking that was a fluke. It's something that mostly happens when it's starting - aka a sudden draw of alot of power going to multiple places.

I can't figure out how to get the fuse box out of its little cradle thing to check the wiring underneath.

Ddeadserious, the obvious possibility is a bad ignition coil, since that's all that's on the fuse now.....?
If a winding's shorted out in the coil, that would pull a lot of current, maybe enough to blow those fuses.
Check to see if the coil gets very hot.

Back