• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coolant sludge need help have picture..?!

slcpunk74

NAXJA Forum User
So I did my oil change today and I decided after spilling a little oil that I should degrease my engine. While degreasing my engine I decide that it has been at least a month since I have checked my coolant; I proceed to check... After inspection of my coolant level I see this slidge that looks like the stuff in the bottom of my overflow bottle when I bought my jeep...
DSC00850.jpg

DSC00851.jpg

DSC00852.jpg

DSC00853.jpg

I just put in a csf 2 or 3 core (memory of a old guy) and flushed my block and overflow bottle last summer. I think that the only substance that I have introduced into my cooling system has been the pre-mix coolant and 1-2 bottles of water wetter... Why would it look like this again?
could this be hurting my cooling?
how do I fix it?

scottmcneal said:
Is your trans low on oil? Looks like my old ford truck when the trans tank got a leak...

good question I did not check that but I will right now

slcpunk74 said:
good question I did not check that but I will right now

trans level was good...

I have never to my knowledge run water in my rad. I did my csf and fluched the block then ran pre mix 50/50...

so do I just flush it again and try to do this step again with 50/50 or what?

I would either agree with ih8roads or say that somebody has used radiator stop-leak at some time.

DeftwillP said:
I would either agree with ih8roads or say that somebody has used radiator stop-leak at some time.

I thought stop leak aswell but I have owned this thing for 1.5 years and the coolant did not look like that when I bought it and I have never needed stop leak. I had a rad leak and I replaced it with a new one and I dont remember ever needing any water to put in it I have always had a bottle of 50/50 from the conception of the new rad.

so should I just get some rad flush and run that with water in it after I drain and then refill with pre mix 50/50 or what?

There is a product you can add that will remove/desolve the rust. You add it with antifreeze when you fill er back up. You can probably get it at just about any auto parts store. I had the same problem. I flushed it and it came back from residual i guess. But i then added that stuff and i have been goop free for over a year.

Sean

I just drained the coolant and I am running some flush and water for today and tomorrow then I will put my new water pump in and add pure 50/50 prestone again... :(

IH8RDS said:
This is like the cat came back.... I have been fighting this for a year now. I ran water for a little bit and this is the end result. My neighbors XJ is doing the exact same thing. I have to flush my heater core again befor it gets cold. Last winter without a heater was rough.

I bet. I hope that this will fix my problem but we will see.

The 15 minute flush is a joke. Ok if you don't need a flush the 15 min is fine. You need a good flush. Put plenty of what ever flush you like in and drive on it. A few days maybe. Drain and flush AGAIN.
I have flushed with water.then added 2 cups of a stronger toilet boil cleaner. Driven on it for a few days. Then short flush with water. Added 1/2 cup of baking soda to neutralize the toilet cleaner. With soda keep engine running until drain (15min). Soda will cake at bottom if given a chance. Drain and do the 50/50
Do you think toilet clearer is hard on the rad? It's about the same thing pro's boil blocks and rads out with. But there mix is a lot stronger.
How well does wet water and anti freeze get along? It seems like they have mutual canalling properties.

Last edited:
scottmcneal said:
Is your trans low on oil? Looks like my old ford truck when the trans tank got a leak...
I know it's already been decided it's not the trans, but it'll be like a strawberry milkshake when the trans oil / coolant mix. Wasn't really sludgy though.

Back