• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine stopped running

CharlesS

NAXJA Forum User
Before anyone asks... YES... I did a thorough search thru the archives about this subject and the common cure all appears to be the CPS.
A little history about what has transpired.... The engine started to run rough and stumbled everyonce in a while, but overall continued the run well....

Friday the engine cutout momentarily, but I thought it might be that I was running low on fuel... Added about 12 gallons and all was good until later in the day when the engine stumbled again...
Decided it was time to connect a OBDII scan tool and read any stored codes even though there was no CEL. Read a P0351 Ignition Coil #1 Primary Circuit.
Did a thorough check of all plugs, wires, any anything else I could think of...
NOTHING!!

Drove the Jeep yesterday doing errands and on the way to the Post Office the engine died, and when I crank over the engine the Tach does not move.
Checked the fuel pressure at the rail while cranking and the pressure was fine... Disconnected the CPS; waited a minute or so and then reconnected...
Tried to restart... The engine cranks, but not even a sputter...

After doing the research thru the archives I checked a few things more last night and still nothing...
This morning I started troubleshooting again.... and to my amazement... the Jeep started.... Not exactly what I expected to happen this morning....

All ideas and suggestions are welcome....

did you check with fuel pressure gauge..Did the same thing with a friends heep, then we did the test.. Pump was bad.. My 2 cents HTH

Double checked it... The fuel pressure IS NOT the problem....
A friend of mine came down to help me troubleshoot the problem....
While troubleshooting the intermittent problem we found A LOT of carbon dust inside the distributor cap... The dust came from the worn out distributor bushing and the cam position sensor rubbing on the curved shield mounted to the plate inside the distributor....
The upper bushing was gone and the distributor shaft would rock side to side about 1/8".
The engine stopped due to the 5 VDC reference voltage shorting to ground and shutting down the ECM. Once the engine and distributor cooled down the short was removed and the ECM came back to life late last night...
Replaced the distributor and cam position sensor.
Let the Jeep idle for almost 30 minutes and then went for a 40 mile test drive to verify the operation of the engine... Now the engine idles better, accelerates better and I suspect I will also recieve better gas mileage.

Back