• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy a CPS for my XJ?

XJ98Jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I need a crankshaft position sensor for my 98 XJ manual tranny, and Pep boys has it for $110 :tears:
I googled around for a little bit and found it for like $75, but I'm worried it's not a real website. Where can I get one for a good price?

CPS are exspencive and a huge pain to replace you can get one from VIP auto for 59.99 just ask for the cheep one also Napa has them for around 60 they also have a AAA discount if you have a card

I went to NAPA, they told it would be $114. The crankshaft position sensor doesn't seem that bad to replace, just LOTS of socket extension so you can get to it. What's bad about it?

XJ98Jeep said:
I went to NAPA, they told it would be $114. The crankshaft position sensor doesn't seem that bad to replace, just LOTS of socket extension so you can get to it. What's bad about it?
Just don't drop one of the bolts down the bellhousing:scared:

That's what I've been told. Sorry for not putting this in the right forum, wasn't sure if it was mod tech or OT. Anyway, are there any places to buy a CPS that's cheaper, or is $110 a good price?

When mine went on my 2000, my own mechanic told me to go with dealer parts. Of course its more expensive, but you don't want to replace it 6mos or year down the road, unless you love your jeep doing it to you missionary style. I picked it up for 125USD. X2 on the bolts, use a piece of gum or something like that to hold the bolt on the socket.

XJ98Jeep said:
I need a crankshaft position sensor for my 98 XJ manual tranny, and Pep boys has it for $110 :tears:
I googled around for a little bit and found it for like $75, but I'm worried it's not a real website. Where can I get one for a good price?

Why do you need a CPS? Replacement or Spare.... ??
IF you are replacing the CPS....
This may sound like a stupid question...., but how do you know you need to replace the CPS?

I'm replacing it. Randomly, my Jeep would just act like I let off the gas completely and the engine would make popping sounds that I could feel through the gas pedal (misfire, perhaps?), and if I let it idle it would go down to almost stalling, then come up to like 1300 RPM, and go down and up over and over. I could either wait it out, or mash the gas pedal and it would go away. Then I was fourwheeling, and my engine completely shut down. I turned the key and it turned over great, but no spark or anything.

XJ98Jeep said:
I'm replacing it. Randomly, my Jeep would just act like I let off the gas completely and the engine would make popping sounds that I could feel through the gas pedal (misfire, perhaps?), and if I let it idle it would go down to almost stalling, then come up to like 1300 RPM, and go down and up over and over. I could either wait it out, or mash the gas pedal and it would go away. Then I was fourwheeling, and my engine completely shut down. I turned the key and it turned over great, but no spark or anything.

Just went thru a similar occurrence on my '98 XJ 4.0L and the problem was not the CPS (Crank Position Sensor); it was actually the other CPS (Cam Position Sensor) which is inside the distributor.
My problem was a worn distributor shaft bushing causing the distributor shaft to wobble and the CPS to rub against the curved metal shield mounted to the distributor base plate. This caused the 5VDC reference voltage to short to ground and the ECM to shut down until the ground in the circuit was resolved....

Saudade said:
Autozone lists it for $85.
It's also comes with a 2 year warranty. All of the more expensive ones I found were only 1 year.

Back