• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eliminating ABS on 89 Cherokee

CherokeeLaredo_89

NAXJA Forum User
I've been thinking about eliminating the ABS all together, since the pump/motor assembly is bad. It costs too much for me to want to replace. I was wondering if anyone has done this. Are there any drawbacks/benefits to doing this? Does anyone have any instructions on what I need to remove/modify? I'm also going to do a ZJ rear disc brake swap, since I'm going to lift it, I want it to stop well with 31's. How will this affect the performance of the brakes?

All you have to do is pull the fuses for the ABS and you're done. Along with your ZJ discs swap in a 95-96 brake booster and master cylinder as well....that combination will stop any tires you ever put on it.

Wm

Kahn Strictor said:
All you have to do is pull the fuses for the ABS and you're done. Wm
Not zactly so, there is brake without the booster pump, but you need strong legs and good footwear to manage it.

The common swap is to take the booster, master cylinder, and proportioning valve from a 95/96 model year. When you research this swap, you will see comments about changing the pedal assembly. My 1990 with auto tranny did NOT need the pedal assembly. I did modify the booster rod to fit the existing pedal and brake light switch: Make the hole bigger, grind a flat spot...easy.

Here are some links:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903934

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARbrakeBoosterUpgrade/BrakeBoosterUpgrade.htm

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903927&highlight=ISO+flaring+tool

I don't know if Gojeep did a write-up, but you need to bookmark his site, if you have not already. LOL

http://go.jeep-xj.info/

The main components on that system are warrentied for life from the dealer. Have you had it in to be diagnosed? Even if you don't keep all the ABS parts working, you need the pump to make the brakes work, and it's covered for life.

Goatman said:
The main components on that system are warrantied for life from the dealer. Have you had it in to be diagnosed? Even if you don't keep all the ABS parts working, you need the pump to make the brakes work, and it's covered for life.

This was not so much the case, I have 3 Bendix XJs sitting in my back lot waiting for a swap because my locale dealers will not cover it anymore, too far out of date from start of recall...andy:rtm:

My understanding is that the parts to keep the ABS system working won't be covered anymore, but the main pump part that is needed for the brakes to operate at all will be covered forever as long as they have parts. Of course, the last time I had one done was a couple of years ago. Did you ask someone other than the service advisor, they may not know. Of course, it also could have changed in the last year, but the bulletin that was out previously said to fix them.

back when i had my 91 with a failing abs I went to the stealership to get the lifetime covered abs parts replaced and they laughed in my face. That only covers them up to 100,000 miles. Gut the whole system out and swap non abs it will be the best thing you ever do to your jeep.

Some parts were covered for 100,000 and others were lifetime but. . . The Bendix ABS computer sucks, and throws false codes - so even if they acknowledge the lifetime warranty on the pump, expect them to charge you for diagnostics and throw non-warranty parts at the problem. 2 years ago, they told me I got one of the last remaining wheel sensors. I imagine a number of components are no longer manufactured and unavailable.

I think I'm just going to remove all the abs junk and replace the booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve. Also, I'm not 100% positive but, I think I have a different kind of booster from the factory. I don't really see the traditional type that the master cylinder is attached to. It looks like there's some kind vacuum canister thing that is mounted towards the back of the engine. Correct me if I'm just seeing things. This is my first Jeep and I'm still getting to know it. We haven't been together very long. Lol!

Back