• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEm Fog Lights Not Working

Glacialbass

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 98 XJ yesterday morning. One of the issues that I'm trying to track down is with the factory fog lights. It's a Sport, and came with the fogs from the factory. I've checked the relay under the hood, and it seems to be good. When I turn the switch on nothing happens. There is no light to indicate that the switch is on, and the fogs do not turn on. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Get a multi-tester. Unplug the lights from the harness. Check for continuity through the light(indicates bulb burned out/socket damaged), and check for voltage at the plug(indicates wireing problem) .

Does the little light on the switch come on?

That switch is CRAP! It died before the 30,000 mile warranter was up on my 98. The dealership replaced it and it went out again. Basically the switch gets hot and melts inside. The contact then are too far apart and the lights will not come on.

I got pissed one day and took the switch apart. I fixed it using broken toothpicks! Yes, toothpicks. That was about 5 years ago, and it still works.

So check the switch, but replacing it is only a temporary solution. To do it right you'd need to replace the switch and then wire a relay between it and the lights. I'm sure it is the high current in the switch that is causing it to melt.

Mudderoy said:
Does the little light on the switch come on?

That switch is CRAP! .... ....Basically the switch gets hot and melts inside.

So check the switch, but replacing it is only a temporary solution. To do it right you'd need to replace the switch and then wire a relay between it and the lights. I'm sure it is the high current in the switch that is causing it to melt.
X2 Funny how many cars have problems with current overload melting the ignition switch, headlight switch etc.. You'd think an automotive engineer could do those calculations.

tbburg said:
X2 Funny how many cars have problems with current overload melting the ignition switch, headlight switch etc.. You'd think an automotive engineer could do those calculations.

I'm sure the engineers know, but the accountants make them use something that is .0000002 cents cheaper and won't fail right away.

With that said I don't know how the engineers got the 4.0L out the door, talk about over engineered.

Mudderoy said:
....I don't know how the engineers got the 4.0L out the door, talk about over engineered.

Simple. The original engine was designed in, what, the late 50s/early 60s? All the new guys did was play with the bore/stroke combination.

tbburg said:
Simple. The original engine was designed in, what, the late 50s/early 60s? All the new guys did was play with the bore/stroke combination.

Beat me to it, IIRC the first production year for that motor was 1964 and AMC (with and without Renault) did more with any of the displacement changes in these motors than Chrysler Corp or Dahlmer-Chrysler. All CC and DCX did was keep the 4.0l as current as possible in emissions.

Back