• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Power Plug

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Try to figure out a signal light problem on my 89 XJ and found a odd looking two spade plug and what look to be an inverted two spade plug. Tracing the wires back they end up in what looks like the battery solenoid on the passenger side wheel well by the battery. So is this some sort of jump start or battery charging plug?

How many years was this an option? I have had 3 xjs and never saw one of those. Would love to see a pic.

Where did you find the plugs?

Is this the relay?
JeepEngineBay006.jpg

90Blue_XJ said:
How many years was this an option? I have had 3 xjs and never saw one of those. Would love to see a pic.

There were typically available for cars sold in colder climates. This is nothing "unique" to jeeps. It simply replaces one of the freeze plugs (usually the front).

I know about block heaters. I had a MB diesel with one. I live in South Texas so never needed it. I am asking to see the plug to which the OP refers. Thanks for the lesson though Saudade many on here will benefit from it.

90Blue_XJ said:
I know about block heaters. I had a MB diesel with one. I live in South Texas so never needed it. I am asking to see the plug to which the OP refers. Thanks for the lesson though Saudade many on here will benefit from it.

Ah... Sorry, I thought you were referring to the block heater. My apologies.

that what I guessed as well,block heater until it was connected to the relay. I will grab a pic. The relay is on the fender well pass side right next to the battery. Wired thing is that I already have a block heater installed the uses a freeze plug that I have replaced once since we got the Jeep. And it had the one I replaced since 91, odd it would have two installed.

Back