• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 pinion guard

92XJT

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make these? I googled and searched on here and didn't find anything. I noticed on my last trip on the rocks the pinion seal didn't fair too well. Only one I've found so far, is for the 14b. If they are out there someone point me in the correct direction - thanks........

I didn't think the 8.25 had a removable pinion support like the Ford 9" or Corp 14 bolt. So what would you secure the pinion guard to?

jmop said:
I didn't think the 8.25 had a removable pinion support like the Ford 9" or Corp 14 bolt. So what would you secure the pinion guard to?

Check out Nth Degree's TJ D35 pinion yoke guard. Basically was a skid plate that was held in place with some Ubolts. FWIW, they are no longer in business.

I like the idea of that Nth Degree guard, but on an 8.25 I don't think you can afford to lose another mm of ground clearance under the back of the pumpkin!! You can always tell when an 8.25 has been dragging it's diff by the signature third rut!!

I liked the one I had...learning how to drive...

mjma said:
I like the idea of that Nth Degree guard, but on an 8.25 I don't think you can afford to lose another mm of ground clearance under the back of the pumpkin!! You can always tell when an 8.25 has been dragging it's diff by the signature third rut!!

i cut the bottom of my 8.25 off.....only takes a few seconds with a sawzall

IMG_0974.JPG

Sometimes on a rutted trail you are gonna drag the pumpkin no matter what, so IMO it's better to have a skid than not. There is a skid for the 8.25 but it was some weak design that bolts on with the cover bolts, and someone with the WJ Dana 44 aluminum version said it rips off easily. I don't know why no company currently makes one that just bolts to the diff with 3 u bolts

IntrepidXJ said:
i cut the bottom of my 8.25 off....
Nice shave. Too bad it makes it look like a D-35:eek:

Seriously, nice work!

i took a piece of 1/8th inch steel that was 6x8 inches and ran it from the pinion seal to the bottom lip, so it's like a skid, you can weld it on with nickle sticks, or just use epoxy like i did. hasn't fallen off yet.

N-th degree was bought by AEV - their products do still exist, somewhat...

Rock-it makes a diff guard for the 8.25 as well...

I thought you guys were talking about a guard for the yoke/DS. I have shaved my 8.25 and run the RuffStuff cover and I just drag it over rocks with no problems. I want to protect the yoke and DS from grinding on rocks, mine is ground up good right now!

I plan on making something soon.

The op was talking about a pinion/yoke guard not a diff cover. I think right now the only way get what you want right now is either build it yourself or have someone else build it.

Rockware%20Pinion%20Guard.jpg

land rovers have these... i think this is my personal favorite design for a pinion guard. i don't think there's an easy way to attach it to the 8.25 though

mscans said:
i took a piece of 1/8th inch steel that was 6x8 inches and ran it from the pinion seal to the bottom lip, so it's like a skid, you can weld it on with nickle sticks, or just use epoxy like i did. hasn't fallen off yet.

Haha you used epoxy to hold it on? like glue? just makin sure were on the same page lol

asp387 said:
Rockware%20Pinion%20Guard.jpg

land rovers have these... i think this is my personal favorite design for a pinion guard. i don't think there's an easy way to attach it to the 8.25 though

I like that and your right, no where on the bottom of a 8.25 to atach that but there is those 4 bosses that stick up on the top that could be tapped and some brackets made to go around the snout

:idea:

winkosmosis said:
I bet epoxy holds pretty well if it has a lot of surface area and only has to deal with sheering force
all depends on the 2 metals being bonded, how clean they are, the humidity and temperature of the air during bonding, and the type of epoxy used. IMHO, no epoxy would be able to do as much as a couple bolts for this situation.

xj trailrider, i think you're right about that type of attachment, though, to be honest, it may be more effort than its worth, unless you're in big rocks all of the time

asp387 said:
xj trailrider, i think you're right about that type of attachment, though, to be honest, it may be more effort than its worth, unless you're in big rocks all of the time

Well lets put it this way, my Tom Woods DS is mangled from rock and will need a lot of work on the next set of u-joints!

Back