• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L 4cyl help

Jeep XJ_YJ

NAXJA Forum User
1995 4 banger. Runs alright. Just got it, and have been tuning it up. Got a problem, when Idle is right at abou 900 she feels and runs fine. But when Idle drops to around 600 when It gets warmed up, thing feels like it is going to cut off.

Idles real shuttery, but never actually dies. Did cap wires plugs etc.

Today I'm going to add a new fuel filter and sea foam it.

ANY OTHer IDEAS? Thanks

Loose manifold bolts causing a minor vacuum leak in one or more cylinders?

tbburg said:
Loose manifold bolts causing a minor vacuum leak in one or more cylinders?

That made my 4cyl idle fast, around 1200 or so. The idle speed on mine is about 900 when hot. Does yours have an idle set screw? My 99 has one that I was told to never change because the computer is supposed to control the idle.

On second thought, maybe someone was having a problem too high idle and rather then figuring out it was a loose manifold bolt, took the easy way out and just changed the idle setting using the screw.

gray_penguin said:
Does yours have an idle set screw? My 99 has one that I was told to never change because the computer is supposed to control the idle.
Mine has a 4.0, so I don't think it applies.

I start by cleaning up the throttle body really well, including pulling and cleaing the nose of the IAC and it's bore. I don't recommend messing with the idle set screw unless you've changed something else like replacing the crank arm (only reason I've ever messed with it)

Thanks for the replies. It is actually my dad's, and he said he saw the adjuster screw, but you would have to remove TB, so I figured it shouldn't be messed with.

Cleaned out the TB today with seafoam, and put a new fuel filter on. Idle at low rpm's is still a little shakey, but slightly improved.

When I fill up today, I am going to put in some Gumout Regane to see what that does.

----Also, the IAC is located on the manifold right? I will pull it and clean it off, then report back.

Back