• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right Rear Power Window Problem

Skits

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, this isn't the usual kiddie lockout thread. I've been messing with this nonsense for 2 days and can't for the life of me figure it out.

In my '99 the right rear window will not roll up with the switch on the rear door. Down works fine, but no up. The drivers panel will not roll it up or down...it would occasionally work, but now doesn't work at all. It has nothing to do with the child lockout on the windows...all the other windows work fine on their own switches, and I have a full 13.5V at the back switch connector with the engine running and 12V+ with the engine off.

I have tested everything for power, checked contiunity on the switch, disassembled and cleaned both the drivers and right rear switches and everything seems to check out fine.

Here is the weird part...I can jump the switch connector on the rear door with wires and the window works fine. However, when I tried using the switch from the other rear door I get the same problem.

I'm at a total loss. Motor works...switch works...have power and ground...what am I missing?

Please help me before I replace all of it with mil-spec toggle swtiches?

Seems that if it was the master panel, then I wouldn't be able to make it work by jumping the connector at the back door. Could be wrong, tho.

The ground for the up and down are separate wires and both go though the master switch and the associated door harnesses. I'm betting that you have a broken wire in the driver's door harness. Those wires get brittle if the rubber boot is not on right and all the door opening and closing tends to break the wires.

The best way to check it is to fully remove it and check the wires for continuity. Take off the door panel and unplug everthing in the door and remove the kick panel trim and disconnect the wires there. The harness can then be pulled out of the A pillar and door. If that checks out then the master switch is bad, but my money is on a broken wire.

You were right on the money. In all my diagnosis, I didn't check continuity between the front and back...it should have been one of the first things I did, but I made assumptions and it bit me in the a$$. When I finally did, I didn't have continuity on the green/white wire between the back door and driver's door.

It was broken right where you said, but unfortunately I didn't check the posts on here before I started tracing it...so I started at the back. When I finally did find it, it was broken cleanly...not chaffed or worn at all...almost looked like it had been cut with wire cutters. Either it got pinched or it just snapped from back-and-forth bending I guess.

Half the interior is torn out of the heep right now from my tracing, but the wire is all soldered back together and the harness goes back in tomorrow.

I wanted to strip the carpet out and seal some leaks anyway...now I've got a head start. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the response, Bob.

Back