• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help

rjstiles

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ Sport 4x4 4.0L auto and I have almost fixed most of my headaches. I put in a new radiator, hoses and flushed. New oil pan and filter. All new window regulator ends to keep them from falling down, etc.

Anyway to the point. I just ordered a new evaporator and heater core to replace next weekend to make the A/C and heat work. I know I need to take out the dash but how in the world do I get the automatic transmission shifter handle off. I cannot seem to find out how to remove the silly thing!

Also I have the engine without plug wires, does anyone know where I can get the parts to change the plugs, etc?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Ron

:confused1

rjstiles said:
I have a 2000 XJ Sport 4x4 4.0L auto and I have almost fixed most of my headaches. I put in a new radiator, hoses and flushed. New oil pan and filter. All new window regulator ends to keep them from falling down, etc.

Anyway to the point. I just ordered a new evaporator and heater core to replace next weekend to make the A/C and heat work. I know I need to take out the dash but how in the world do I get the automatic transmission shifter handle off. I cannot seem to find out how to remove the silly thing!

Also I have the engine without plug wires, does anyone know where I can get the parts to change the plugs, etc?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Ron

:confused1

Hey Ron. On my 1999 you just have to pull straight up on the "T" part. Is doesn't come off easy, but it will pop off with a little tugging. :us:

I don't remember if I had to remove the center console to remove the dash or not, but if that's why you are taking off the shift knob, then the next problem you will run into is getting the console over the park brake handle. An good trick here is to remove the rear brake drums and then you will have enough travel in the lever to get the console over it.

For the spark plugs, you really don't need anything except the plugs themselves. The coil packs bolt right on top the plugs - no wires or anything else to mess with. It's pretty clean system. There are three coils for the six plugs. The computer fires both plugs hooked to each coil at the same time. Since one cylinder is on compression and one is on exhaust, it doesn't hurt to fire them both together.

Durango-Bob said:
I don't remember if I had to remove the center console to remove the dash or not, but if that's why you are taking off the shift knob, then the next problem you will run into is getting the console over the park brake handle. An good trick here is to remove the rear brake drums and then you will have enough travel in the lever to get the console over it.

For the spark plugs, you really don't need anything except the plugs themselves. The coil packs bolt right on top the plugs - no wires or anything else to mess with. It's pretty clean system. There are three coils for the six plugs. The computer fires both plugs hooked to each coil at the same time. Since one cylinder is on compression and one is on exhaust, it doesn't hurt to fire them both together.

Thank you for the info, where can you find new coil packs?

Also does the fuel rail (?) attach to it or is it a seperate piece?

Thanks again

Ron

The fuel rail is on the other side of the head from the coil packs. You souldn't need to replace the coils, just the plugs. If you do have a bad coil, most auto supply stores should have one.

Back