• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a lift to my XJ w/ ABS?

sinewave

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I'm currently looking into putting a lift on my 99 XJ. The problem is...I have ABS therefore I have D35 in the rear. Obviously this is a weak rear axle and I have read up on it in the FAQ's, search forums, etc.

This is my daily driver and I would be doing mostly trails with my Jeep on weekends and on trips.

I would like to put on a 3.5" RE lift, but I read with my D35 this would not be a good idea and I should stay around 2" with the BB.

Will I have any problems adding a lift to my Jeep with ABS? If I go bigger than 2" will there be any issues I need to worry about because of this?

I know if I go 3.5" I will have the chance of vibrations and you need to get a SYE blah blah, but I don't know if for some reason the ABS will affect it?

I guess I could just disconnect the ABS and I would be running the weak D35.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

I am currently running a 35 on my 97.

A lot of people say the 35 is no good, I have not been into hardcore crawling, just trails and my 35 has had no issues.

I am currently running a 3" kit, ran it for about a year, then I finally got the sye installed (note I had no vibes, nor t-case lowering) because I am awaiting on my 4.5 lift to arrive.

As far as I know the ABS is only an issue for the snorkle side if you wanted to install one.

I could be wrong here, but your ABS should not be a concern? Anyone want to drop in anymore info on this ABS???

mac

I have a '97 with ABS and the dreaded D35.

I also did RE 3.5 SuperFlex and 31x10.50 MTRs. I have not had any issues with the rear axle. 31's over stock is an large improvement. Go for the 3.5RE Lift if it is within your budget.

Here is a video of me with the 2005 Jeep Jam.

Note the stock YJ's and TJ' s having issues about the 16:50 and 18:36 minute marks of the video. My xj is making the same climb starting at 18:09. The 3.5inches of lift and 31x10.50 tires are the main differances.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...ummond+Island&ei=vCOTSKDZNISS4wLg_MT-Bw&hl=en

Some points of note. I do not wheel all out with the throttle. Also with Michigan wheeling there is always mud, wet dirt etc that will allow some wheel spin instead of pinning a wheel and breaking the axle with engine torque.

When I first lifted the Jeep it was a DD and I thought that I did not have vibes until I did the SYE... It was about a year after the lift that I did the SYE.

I am in process of building a 30/44 combo wth ARBs and 4.88 to ditch the 3.55 -D35.

first, i would ditch the abs as it is the most worthless feature on the planet, ripping mine out of my jeep was the first thing i did. abs its just an excuse for people who dont know how to drive, and lift height wont have any effect on your d35 axle, tire size is the limiting factor. untill i swaped in my 8.8, which i would recomend doing an axle swap, i was runing 32's with no problems, open diff though. it just depends on your driving style if you have a lead foot or not.

i have a '99 with ABS, 4.5" lift with TNT 1" boomerangs in the rear, 31's, and front (ARB) and rear (Detroit) lockers. haven't had a problem yet. in the process of building a D44 with ZJ disks with ABS. ABS is worth keeping in the northeast IMHO, especially when it is your wife's snow vehicle

we also have muddier trails which is a little niicer on the axles if you keep your foot out of it.

sinewave said:
Do you have a SYE?
i do now, but ran a 1" trans drop for a long time, no vibes. added 1" shackles and got slight vibes. did the SYE to gain that inch of ground clearance back, and loose the vibes to boot.

Back