• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build rock rails?

KingOfTheHill

NAXJA Forum User
it doesnt look that difficult... should i just gamble 100bucks in steel and an afternoon or just buy a set made?

and how important is it to attach them to the pinch seems of the body? hope i said that correctly...

JOe

if you are good with a welder its not that hard but i would look at a set on someone elses rig before you just jump right in. also, our local brother here in HB Hellbilly04 makes some bitchin BillyBars that a few of our members run. you can see pics of them at www.otrfabwerks.com or look at some of out members rigs, like erikwylie, tcm glx, islanderoffroad, just to name a few... ive had a few right now otherwise i would remember more of the guys that run them haha.. hopefully some of them will post up a couple pics?

Grimm you forgot about me!!!
And I thought I was your friend...geeez!
Anyways here are my BillyBars

BillyBars001a.jpg

BillyBars007a.jpg

BillyBars009a.jpg

Damn... see, those just look NICE!.... i was thinking some 3"ish square tubing with 3 legs running to some plate bolted and welded to the frame...

i'll contact hellbilly04 for pricing... those just look awesome.. and Baja, very nice rig there!

JOe

before you cut the lengths measure real good, the front comming off the frame will not be the same as the rear. If you cut the same lenght the rails will really taper in the rear! Other then that its not bad at all. I just made some with 3/16 and 1/4 inch and gussets. Also much better to tap into the pinch seams. Mine are simple but strong ill try and get a pic for you

KingOfTheHill said:
it doesnt look that difficult... should i just gamble 100bucks in steel and an afternoon or just buy a set made?

and how important is it to attach them to the pinch seems of the body? hope i said that correctly...

JOe

It's not worth trying to make your own, first you won't be done in an after noon, you will spend 10 hours dickin with the set up. Well worth paying for them. Ask billy the time he spent on the first set! and he's a Pro. Pick you battles.

Ture forgot to mention when I did mine it took 3-4hrs and I had access to a full metal shop. After you make the first one you can take that and punch them out a lot easyer but making that first template is a PITA. We were thinking about making a bunch and selling them at a low cost but metal prices have gone crazy, I got about 100 bucks just in steel!

BS Fab > OTR Fab .!.:D.!.

Take that Billy!

ahahah fair enough...

We actually hate building rock rails for XJs. lol you can have them :D

**The build off will be between the BS Fab MJ and the OTR Fab MJ.

Billy has placed more tube on Naxja in the last 6 mnths than care to know!!

BillyBars....."More bars in more places!!"

tcm glx said:
Don't play innocent Grimm, you have Billy tube in your rear!!
oh snap!

well you have billy tube all around you, twice in the rear, up front, and on both sides!

GrimmJeeper said:
oh snap!

well you have billy tube all around you, twice in the rear, up front, and on both sides!

Hey, I got billys tube first! So there, neener neener neener!!

Back