• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Next to fix DW....

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
So I have replaced my Track Bar (JKS adjustable), New Ball Joints, alignment, tires are at the Tire shop specs (32 back 35 front), and Balanced.

My next place I should look or replace would be my TRE right? Should I just get a whole new rod with new ends? I am also thinking I need a new Stabilizer, but that only masks DW and not actually fixes anything....

I have a trip in October (12 hour drive to Yosemite) and I don’t want to keep pulling over every 30 min when i get DW at 65+ mph

I am also told that the control arm bushings may be going bad… How can I tell if they are bad or what are some good bushings to replace them with.

Thanks

Did the new TB come with a new mount, or are you stuck with the old wallowed mount?

I replaced CA bushings with poly, good solid handling.
No issues with flex or squeaking, WELL lubed with syn. grease

There's some wiggle room somewhere the trick is finding it.
Steering: have someone turn steering wheel a little to L/R and FEEL around at every connecting point.
I don't know how to check C.A. bushings but if they're cracked and dried out looking, I'd replace.

The mount to the axle or the body? the JKS came with all new ends... I am still using the facotry mount braket to the body... I have thought about getting the RE HD one...

Where can i find the poly bushings to replace them with? I know on my other cars its next to impossible to replace them (even if they are brand new) do the ones in the jeep come out fairly easy?

i am sure there is some thread that can assist u with the bushing removal, i used a BFH and a torch, just be careful not to bend the ca if u beat them out or use a press, have u tried rotating the tires,a lot of shops balance the tires at 55 mph i think, u could get road force balanced ( i think that is how it is said) check the angle of your track bar, hth

stock rims that come on the 95' sports, and I have the 265/75/15 just one size up from stock.

All the tires got ballanced and rotated after my MOAB trip. a few thousand miles back...

Body mount. I replaced my old TB with new one and old wallowed mount egged out the new TB. So I got a newer/used mount and new "egged" TB ended up killing newer mount.

I got my poly bushings from Quadratec
Old ones are PIA to remove. I pressed sleeve out and burned out rubber.
The last one I tried using a drill bit to eat away at the rubber and it ended up "walking" around the bushing in the spring eye and bushing worked it's way out.
5/8 bit iirc

so what all does that kit replace? Would it be recomended to get the RE HD body mount?

Magus2727 said:
stock rims that come on the 95' sports, and I have the 265/75/15 just one size up from stock.

All the tires got ballanced and rotated after my MOAB trip. a few thousand miles back...

When did this start? After you did the switch after your moab trip? Rotate them back to see if that helps.. Could have just a bad tire

I'd get the new mount
The kit replaces upper, lower, axle, and frame bushings.
The kit also uses a "spacer for between CA and mount. That's what all those rings are.

I was getting DW before the trip and I tried to get an alignment done while there (the 1 tire place only had an opening 2 days after i was already going to be home). I had DW on the way back. thought it was just that I did not have an alignment since my lift. so I got the alignment, tires balanced and rotated. on the highway I still get DW only at speeds over 55 MPH. I got a "recheck" on my alignment 30 days later and they said my Ball joints wer bad and the track bar needed to be replaced. So I replaced the TB got an alignment. Then I still got DW replaced the Ball joints just last week and got an alignment. I have had DW about 2-3 times now in the last two days on my way to and from work.

I should start soaking the bolts in PB Blaster huh...

How big of a task will this be with just a ball joint press (or BFH and torch) and hand tools... no air tools...

13/16 iirc for the big bolts
I don't remember the Torx size for axle upper CA

I'd try the drill method I used.
Made removal real easy.

did you use air tools at all?

Well just got a OME SS and the Poly CA bushings hope that helps

If you can afford it, just get the Rubicon express HD trackbar with cross brace setup. Also, do the ball joints, TRE's and bushings.

If you have time, use the WJ bushings in the axles, if not, you can order MOOG replacement bushings. Use a drill and drill out the rubber by going around the center sleeve. Then, once the rubber/center sleeve is out, take a punch and collapse the outer sleeve into itself, ie make it U shaped instead of round, it will just pop right out then. Then use a ball joint press with the right sized cup on the receiving end and a piece of flat plate that will cover the entire bushing on the screw side, you can then drive the new one in with the press. Once the new ones are in, put a small tack weld on each of them to keep them from walking back out, because they tend to walk back out.
If you do the ball joints, beware there's special adapters that are angled to get a straight push on the ball joint, most places don't have that, ask around if anyone in your area has them. Makes ball joints a breeze.

You can get spicer ball joints for about $50/side. partsmike.net
Moog replacement bushings are around 15 bucks a pair.
WJ front UCA bushings are "supposed" to be a direct replacment, but they don't have the little nubs inside the sleeve. PN 52088214

good luck.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but couldn't it be from the lift and stock wheels? I remember reading something about "scrub angle" or something like that. I know I had DW on my jeep a couple times when I was running 30's and stock wheels with a 2" BB. After putting 31's with steel rock crawler wheels (3.75 BS) it never happened again. Do you have someone you can trade wheels/tires with for a test or try spacers.

If you had DW before you should have found the cause before going up any...it only magnifies it. Well one of the reasons that mine had DW was an upper control arm blolt being loose and the body actually cut about half way into it. After I replaced it, and retorqued everything to spec it was fine. Good luck

i did all the stuff you are doing here, and still had dw, got two new front tires, and it was all gone, i was pretty furious that it was just that the whole time.

if you have a buddy with a set of tires you can switch out, i'd try that. one of your tires might have started falling apart inside or something, you never know.

Are the (i think its a ) 2001 Wrangler the same bolt patern as the 95 cherokee? thats the only other peorson I know that has a tire that could have a bolt patern even close to what may be on the jeep.

Back