• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Length for T&T 5.5" Y-Link?

J

JonnyK

What length shocks will I need for a complete 5.5" Y-Link suspension system, assuming bump stops per the kit and fenders trimmed as necessary to fit the tires of choice? I'm sure somebody must have this setup. I'm bewildered that T&T Customs couldn't tell me what length shocks to get for this "standard" lift.

I have 12'' Blisteins. They work well for me with 35s and 6-7'' of lift.

edit: You really need to measure and see though. Each person is slightly different. Flex your jeep and measure. Go online and see what shock will work for you.
Make sure you add in any bpe or anything like that in before you order. I forgot about that and had to order other shocks.

Starboard M said:
Each person is slightly different.
My point is that it shouldn't be for a given suspension system ... same springs + same bump stops = same shock length. Other manufacturers that include shocks with their lift kits seem to know what length to use.

Starboard is right, about every jeep being different. I have the tnt y-link with RE 7.5 springs, and RE's montube shocks. the shocks they have to match that are for 5.5-7.5 inch, its too genereic, my shocks are limiting my flex. If i had longer shocks i could probably flex another inch or so downward on the front and atleast the same in the rear. You could very easily call somewhere and tell them you have XJ with 5.5 lift and you need shocks, they could send you something right out. But it may not be perfect for your jeep. The best possible thing to so is flex it and measure. That way you'll have the perfect shock to match your jeep. Just my $.02

It's a bit frustrating..how different can one XJ with a full TNT 6" long arm kit be from another XJ with full TNT 6" long arm kit?

It's not always that easy to "flex it out and check for length" in the parking lot. "Oops, flexed the front too far, need some more new brake hoses. My bad..."

Clayton has figured out which shocks are a good standard size to use with a given kit size of his.Rusty's has it figured out too. How different can the rear flex be between 2 XJ's using the TNT 1.5" u-bolt eliminators/boomerang shackles/3" Rubicon Express leaf packs...this is the rear "kit" from TNT. Is every set of TNT front long arms/rubicon 5.5" coils/TNT track bar/TNT supplied brake hoses built so differently that they each use a different length shock?

Yes if no one trimmed their fender or ran different than specified tire size they could do that.
My fenders are trimmed as high as possible with 35" tires, RK 6.5" springs and I use 10" travel shocks (approx 16-26"). However if I did not trim my fenders so high or run 35" tires I would use a longer shock as I would not be able to use as much compression.

Honestly I want the most compression possible versus the most droop.
What good is a spinning tire with no weight on it? (A false sense of traction)

bobnoxious said:
How different can the rear flex be between 2 XJ's using the TNT 1.5" u-bolt eliminators/boomerang shackles/3" Rubicon Express leaf packs...this is the rear "kit" from TNT.

VERY different. At least 1-2" different in Shock length, which equals a Good fitment or Poor fitment!

Where EXACTLY did you weld on your shocks mounts? And where EXACTLY did they weld thiers on, when doing the UBE kit?

Also do you carry a spare tire? If so what wheel / tire combo? And where is the spare mounted? Also do you have ANy crap you like to carry regularly that is in the cargo area? Any accesories on the roof? Do you have a completely bone stone bumper? Oh and what about a hitch and gas tank skid? Ect...

All that effects the rear shock length! you say yes to Every one of those q's and someone else answers no lets say. The difference will be over 2" difference.

So as you see the front is a easier generic size But again it will not be exact as it could be with correct mesauring after its setup, but the rear is Very different with that set up you got as well as will your setup in the rig also.

ROBERTK said:
VERY different. At least 1-2" different in Shock length, which equals a Good fitment or Poor fitment!

Where EXACTLY did you weld on your shocks mounts? And where EXACTLY did they weld thiers on, when doing the UBE kit?

Also do you carry a spare tire? If so what wheel / tire combo? And where is the spare mounted? Also do you have ANy crap you like to carry regularly that is in the cargo area? Any accesories on the roof? Do you have a completely bone stone bumper? Oh and what about a hitch and gas tank skid? Ect...

All that effects the rear shock length! you say yes to Every one of those q's and someone else answers no lets say. The difference will be over 2" difference.

So as you see the front is a easier generic size But again it will not be exact as it could be with correct mesauring after its setup, but the rear is Very different with that set up you got as well as will your setup in the rig also.

So, you are supposed to run a shorter shock because you run lots of weight in the rear so you have a lower ride height? That effects overall flex?

I can see having a different length shock if you weld the shock mounts on in a different location. TNT doesn't have a standard location on the axle tube where they want the shock mount installed??

I understand making mods, and customizing your shock selection based upon making mods to your overall set up. I can even understand if you modify/change a kit. Or, if you pieced together your own complete set up based on hand picked parts from lots of vendors/companies, then picking a set of shocks based on all your custom-super-wham-a-dyne customizations would seem to make sense.

But you're telling me that a company can design and build and sell a "kit" consisting of belly pan, long arms, springs, spring pads, leaf packs, shackles, brake hoses, pitman arm, track bar and mounts that all work together for a given lift amount...but a set of the correct length shocks that fit in the original mounting position is beyond them?? There's not even a base line there somewhere? The "kit" has never been installed on a model of the rig it was designed for?

bobnoxious said:
So, you are supposed to run a shorter shock because you run lots of weight in the rear so you have a lower ride height? That effects overall flex?

I can see having a different length shock if you weld the shock mounts on in a different location. TNT doesn't have a standard location on the axle tube where they want the shock mount installed??

YES shorter shock! You dont want to bottom it out consistantly. And with a XJ with less then like 8" of lift, with a raised lower shock mount, you will be hurtign for the exact length shock to get the right amount of up as well as down travel without limiting your droop you still dont want to bottom out a shock.

As for thier shock mounts. They are very basic and can be mounted vertually anywhere. As for a called out location. They might have a general idea to give ya but even then, to get them at the exactly same angles on the tube and same exact location on the tube, well I would almost say is a long shot..

So Again!

Do you plan on wheeling this thing or hitting up clearance racks at Macy's?

If you will wheel it and you bought this "kit" then you should know that sometimes its best to get whats Best for Your rig anyways!

I will tell you I have never, and will never, just run the shock that someone tells me is for "my" lift and rig. Take the 30 min and do it right, or just go get that Rusty's kit you mentioned. They know it all and will get you the Perfect shock always for your rig :gee:

Oh and forgot to mention that Shock Length does Not effect lift/suspension static height, BUT lift/suspension static height DOES effect shock length.

Last edited:
bobnoxious said:

I understand making mods, and customizing your shock selection based upon making mods to your overall set up. I can even understand if you modify/change a kit. Or, if you pieced together your own complete set up based on hand picked parts from lots of vendors/companies, then picking a set of shocks based on all your custom-super-wham-a-dyne customizations would seem to make sense.

But you're telling me that a company can design and build and sell a "kit" consisting of belly pan, long arms, springs, spring pads, leaf packs, shackles, brake hoses, pitman arm, track bar and mounts that all work together for a given lift amount...but a set of the correct length shocks that fit in the original mounting position is beyond them?? There's not even a base line there somewhere? The "kit" has never been installed on a model of the rig it was designed for?

How hard is it just to measure youself? Want a generic legnth? Add however much lift you are running to the stock shocks. There ya go. Just do it right the first time especailly if you get decent shocks.

I am running a 12" 5150 with my front T&T kit. Works for my tire size and bumpstop height.

How much bump stop height you running? There are so many variables involved in shocks, their mounting and how these effect their overall length that it is almost essential to check for yourself. In the front I am using 5" of bump stops and run a 18" compressed length shock with stock mounting(stud upper and bar pin lower) This is the maximum length shock for these bump stops, I use almost ALL of my uptravel. If the shocks you choose to buy need adapters you need to take into account their added height and add it.

Morale of the story, measure your maximum uptravel and buy a slightly shorter compressed length shock. Seems most people end up with a 12" travel shock in the front and a 10" in the back.

Have you talked to the guys at TnT in person? I gave them a call once I had decided on their LA's and gave them a full run down of my rig, what I use it for, what was already in there, and what I had planned for it. They were able to figure out what shocks I needed and had them shipped to me at the same time as the LA's. In my case, they told me my set up was identical to one of theirs, so he went by what length shocks he was running.

If they hadn't had a rig set up just like mine I would have waited to order shocks. There really can be some big differences. T&A-XJ posted that he's running 5" of bumpstop with stock shock mounts, I'm running 3" of bumpstop with BPE's. Are you suggesting that TnT can send out one length shock and have it work for both of our configurations? If they ever did try to do that, there would be guys in here non stop complaining about how they sent the wrong shocks and now they have to send them back... If you can't figure out what length shocks you'll need by talking to them, then do it right and just wait.

If you're going through all the work of putting in something like this, then why half-ass it when it comes to something simple like shocks?

There really can be some big differences.

Only if you make mods to the basic "kit" they supply...or are you saying that they throw whatever crap they feel like in a box and call it a "kit"? I already know they're not capable of making a u bolt eliminator that actually fits.

Are you suggesting that TnT can send out one length shock and have it work for both of our configurations?

Ummmm....yes, based on their basic kit (you know, the one that includes bump stops, springs, brake hoses, arms, etc). How is it their fault that you decided to make a change from their kit? Bump stop extensions for the front come in the kit. Using a bump stop bigger or smaller than that is your choice, and it would therefore make sense to measure and order custom shocks to go with your custom application.

If they ever did try to do that, there would be guys in here non stop complaining about how they sent the wrong shocks and now they have to send them back...

Huh, Clayton doesn't seem to suffer from this problem, or Rusty's, or Rockkrawler, or Full Traction, etc...there's at least a basic shock size reccomendation given for a given basic kit that hasn't been otherwise customized and modified by the customer. I guess that's the difference between doing R&D, installing the stuff you build and sell, and actually wheeling it vs. just cobbling together a bunch of stuff and calling it a "kit".

If you're going through all the work of putting in something like this, then why half-ass it when it comes to something simple like shocks?

How is trying to flex an unfinished project so I can measure for "correct shock length" an easy thing? I don't have a fork lift, or an RTI ramp. I am trying to finish the whole rest of the project too. "Half-assing" is sending out a complete "kit" and saying "we know how long the brake hoses need to be, and we know what bump stop extension size you need, but shock length is beyond us". "Half-assing it" is sending me u-bolt eliminators cut to fit a Ford 8.8 tube for a D44 install, and expecting me to fill 3/8" gap with weld.

YES shorter shock! You dont want to bottom it out consistantly.

If I set the bump stops, then measure for a shock that fits within that said suspension movement range, why would I need to change shock length if I added weight to the rear? That's like saying if I drive around with some bags of cement in the back of my rig, I need to change my shocks so they won't bottom out, because I changed my ride height by a couple if inches due to the increased weight. Or that you need to swap out the front shocks for different length ones in front when you add a bumper and winch.Nope, that's incorrect. The bump stops are going to be the limit for up-travel. Ride height alone does not decide shock length needed. If I change ride height, and change bump stop height, then my shock length needs to change as well. Yup, I understand that.

As for a called out location. They might have a general idea to give ya but even then, to get them at the exactly same angles on the tube and same exact location on the tube, well I would almost say is a long shot..

Nope, it's not rocket science. There should be a reccomended distance from the u-bolt eliminators to weld the shock mounts on. The angle of the welded on mount on the axle tube needs to be parallel with the top shock mount at ride height. Yup, I could weld the mounts to the axle in a different location from what TNT reccomends, thereby changing the angle of the shock and the needed length...but then I would be running a custom application, and it would make sense to get a custom length shock, and it would be my choice and responsibilitly to do that.

I will tell you I have never, and will never, just run the shock that someone tells me is for "my" lift and rig. Take the 30 min and do it right, or just go get that Rusty's kit you mentioned. They know it all and will get you the Perfect shock always for your rig

OK, I'm open to suggestions...how do I get this rig "flexed out" and measured up for shocks in 30 minutes?

I never said Rusty's "knows it all". There's no "perfect" anything in this sport...it's all a giant pile of compromises the minute we start modifying stuff! Why is expecting a company that builds a suspension kit to also offer shocks for that same basic kit such a bad thing? I should have a choice..."I'm ordering your full 6" kit and I'm going to install it and run it exactly the way you designed it to be, so I would like a set of shocks to work with that kit", or "I'm going to use parts of your kit, but I'm going to customize it to my liking and exact needs, I don't want/need the standard shocks you offer with it...I'll measure and order shocks to fit my exact needs. Thanks." Is that so hard to understand?

Please, don't assume I'm some noob who just started doing this stuff, or that I'm some "mall cruiser" who doesn't wheel. I do this for a living. I understand. I "get it". When I build a custom suspension, I measure for and install custom shocks. When I modify a kit for a customized application, I measure for and install custom length shocks. Got it. When I install a "kit" using all the supplied components as per the "kit" manufacturer's instructions, I would hope they actually have an idea how it will all fit together, based on that original baseline "kit".

It's OK to have the opinion that you want to measure for shocks yourself, so you can get that "perfect fit". It's also OK for me to have the opinion that maybe a "kit" manufacturer would have some kind of clue what to use on their "kit" if I don't mess with it, and just install it the way they designed it to be installed. Apples and oranges in my eyes.

Eh, maybe I just like to argue:D It's all good:yelclap:

unsubscribing - due to poster's (or posers) lack of willing to learn...

Not to mention since you "do this for a living" and yet you cant figure out how to flex a rig or your experiece doesnt allow you the ability to remove the front springs (or better yet the hind sight to do this before installing them) and just cycling the front suspension to get exact needs. Then the rear to bolt on a set of any of the eye/eye shocks you have in stock or laying around, since you "do this for a living", and getting a daym close fitment that way...

:passgas:

ROBERTK said:

It seems that the question was misunderstood by all of you "teachers." When somebody says "I'm running a 3" bump stop, but he's running a 5" bump stop, so they're different" that means he missed the point that I'm running the bump stops that CAME WITH THE KIT. And just so you know, tire size, fender trimming, and ride height have NOTHING to do with it if you assume the bump stops are your limiting factor.

Oh, forgot one more thing - a shock's travel doesn't tell me what the compressed length is. A 12" travel shock could be 14-26", 16-28", 18-30", etc. I was looking for the compressed length needed to prevent bottoming out the shocks using this suspension with the supplied components. If nobody has installed this complete suspension and can tell me this info, that's fine ... apparently T&T hasn't either (or at least the guy I talked to when I ordered the kit couldn't tell me). Thanks for looking, though.:)

ROBERTK said:

Not to mention since you "do this for a living" and yet you cant figure out how to flex a rig or your experiece doesnt allow you the ability to remove the front springs (or better yet the hind sight to do this before installing them) and just cycling the front suspension to get exact needs. Then the rear to bolt on a set of any of the eye/eye shocks you have in stock or laying around, since you "do this for a living", and getting a daym close fitment that way...

:passgas:

Hey Robert, if we're gonna unsubscribe for something, how about the number of people who are unwilling to read the question that was stated.

Bob and Jonny have tried, MULTIPLE, times to explain what they are asking, and everyone keeps giving them everything except what they ask.

The idea that every Jeep is unique is well understood. The idea that modifications change the variables is understood. The idea that the variables change the requirements is understood.

The question was, IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR A MANUFACTURER TO OFFER A BASE KIT WITH SHOCKS? Based on what Jonny said, he did talk to the manufacturer, and they were unable to help him.

As for what Bob does for a living.......He did say that he does NOT have in his possession an RTI ramp or a fork lift. He DID ask for suggestions on how to flex it out in the "30 minutes" that someone said it would take, knowing that noone would answer him.

He has, in fact own a number of XJs that flexed, he can build them. THAT IS NOT THE ISSUE, AND NOT WHAT HE WAS SAYING. He didn't want you noobs to think that he was a noob and asking stupid questions.

Whether or not he has shocks laying in the shop is not the point either. It goes back to this question: IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR A MANUFACTURER TO OFFER A BASE KIT WITH SHOCKS? Go back and read all the comments that were made. They include everything else. Longer brake lines, or were they guessing on the length for these. Bumpstops, was this a guess as well? Springs, wait, let me guess, they just made each side the same length and put them in a box. Sounds like someone took the time to engineer this stuff, but couldn't give a baseline shock.

Maybe that's the answer! You guys don't understand "base line". You could call it a starting point. If you picked up a cherokee, that was BONE STOCK, and installed the kit, AND ONLY THE KIT, then that would be a base line. Then you start modifying as necessary. Now you've deviated from base line. Get it?

So, if noone has the answer that Jonny is looking for, then why bother posting in his thread. You'd be pissed if your question didn't get answered, and all you got was B*llsh*t like this. So if you really want to be an A$$, go to Pirate or somewhere else. Don't worry, I'll be waiting for your "People crying that this place is like Pirate" thread in the members area.

I'll have to subscribe AGAIN, just to make your life miserable, and remind you that you're not reading what people are taking the time to type.

T&A-XJ said:
How much bump stop height you running? There are so many variables involved in shocks, their mounting and how these effect their overall length that it is almost essential to check for yourself. In the front I am using 5" of bump stops and run a 18" compressed length shock with stock mounting(stud upper and bar pin lower) This is the maximum length shock for these bump stops, I use almost ALL of my uptravel. If the shocks you choose to buy need adapters you need to take into account their added height and add it.

Morale of the story, measure your maximum uptravel and buy a slightly shorter compressed length shock. Seems most people end up with a 12" travel shock in the front and a 10" in the back.

Go back and read, he is installing the bumpstops that came with the kit. Who cares what you are using! Did he say he was using BPEs? No, he didn't.

So based on that, what shocks should TNT have provided? Then he wants to use BPEs or longer shocks, it's up to him to either say that to TNT or buy different ones afterwards.

Trailbst said:
Go back and read, he is installing the bumpstops that came with the kit. Who cares what you are using! Did he say he was using BPEs? No, he didn't.

So based on that, what shocks should TNT have provided? Then he wants to use BPEs or longer shocks, it's up to him to either say that to TNT or buy different ones afterwards.

Dude he gave ya a reach around with that huh? Daym, you two must be tight, or loose? :moon:

ROBERTK said:
Dude he gave ya a reach around with that huh? Daym, you two must be tight, or loose? :moon:

I find people like you, who must resort to name calling and bashing humorous:yap: Thanks for all your helpful info and knowledgable insight:peace:

Back