• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting 31's, got a question

k.smith904

NAXJA Forum User
recently got a xj thats lifted roughly 3 inches but the previous owner, for some reason, decided to leave the stock 29's on there. I'm gonna get 31's but i can't decided between 10.50 and 12.50, as far as width goes.

Would 12.50 look way too wide on a 31" tire, or would it look ok? I'm just afraid that the 10.50 is going to look skinny, if anyone is running 31x12.50, please throw up some pics for comparison, thanks.

If you do 12.5 I'm sure you'd need lower offset wheels in order to be able to steer. I'm getting 31x10.5 this weekend and I've been told that it will rub control arms at full lock

Go 13.5! Then you don't have to worry about looking skinny!! Seriously though you'll be happy with the 10.5s. There's a reason 10.5" is the most common width for 31s.

Darky said:
Go 13.5! Then you don't have to worry about looking skinny!! Seriously though you'll be happy with the 10.5s. There's a reason 10.5" is the most common width for 31s.

agreed. i'm on 31x10.5's and it's a huge upgrade from stock. put a locker in the rear and prepare to be amazed.

Wider looks better, and I think it helps in the mud. I have 32x11.5 with 10x15 wheels and they look skinny to me.

I think wider will use more fuel though.

Depending on what fuel prices do, my plans are to go to 33x12.5 when I replace these tires.

Oh yea, forgot to say, mine don't rub, well they rub the flares a little up front, but thats it.

Last edited:
I've got a 3 1/2 inch lift and put 31 x 10.50's on a few weeks ago. I don't rub at full lock, but have 4" BS rims, so don't know if that's the reason. I need to bumpstop, but other than that, I like 'em!

heh, I run a 33x10.50. I like the skinney tire. let a little air out and you are good to go almost anywhere. Getting them in a 10.5 saves a lot of weight and a lot of rolling resistance as well. I have not seen the justification for me personally to go to a wider tire.

winkosmosis said:
If you do 12.5 I'm sure you'd need lower offset wheels in order to be able to steer. I'm getting 31x10.5 this weekend and I've been told that it will rub control arms at full lock

They will rub with stock rims with a 3.5" lift. My left tire rubbed the paint off my purty RE LCA. For a mild lift, 10.5" tires look and perform very well on and off the road.

my jeep is on 31X10.5 and the stick out about a 1/2 inch to and inch past the stock fender flares so they arent very skinny especially for suck a small tire in diameter

Mudderoy said:
Wider looks better, and I think it helps in the mud. I have 32x11.5 with 10x15 wheels and they look skinny to me.

I think wider will use more fuel though.

Depending on what fuel prices do, my plans are to go to 33x12.5 when I replace these tires.

Oh yea, forgot to say, mine don't rub, well they rub the flares a little up front, but thats it.
I think having wide wheels that stick out makes tires look narrower than they are. To me, tucked in tires look beefier, like they're squeezed in there. That's why I'm using stock wheels for my 31x10.5

It's a whole different look. More expedition and less weekend trailer queen

I've got 33 x 10.5's on stock wheels and I think they look very proportionate. Not to mention they tuck nicely into the wheel wells without tearing up my flares. I think 31 x 12.5's would give you that rolling on beach balls look that seems to be all the rage with the lifted full-size trucks these days. (n)

Here are some pictures from when I had 31x1050x15 BFG ATs on 15X8 steelies with a 4"bs. This was all on a 1.75" BB.

LBL5-29-2006034.jpg

LBL5-29-2006026.jpg

LBL5-29-2006030.jpg

LBL5-29-2006006.jpg

LBL5-29-2006005.jpg

More can be seen in this album.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/Dave41079/LBL%205-29-2006/

wolfpackjeeper said:
heh, I run a 33x10.50. I like the skinney tire. let a little air out and you are good to go almost anywhere. Getting them in a 10.5 saves a lot of weight and a lot of rolling resistance as well. I have not seen the justification for me personally to go to a wider tire.
this is what i want to go to 33x10.50. do you have a pic of it so i could see what it looks like. thanks

rufus_1111 said:
this is what i want to go to 33x10.50. do you have a pic of it so i could see what it looks like. thanks

Here ya' go! This is with the RE 5.5" lift and stock aluminum wheels. I like that they tuck into the wheel wells when the suspension flexes.

3966.jpg

1b0b.jpg

Sorry, I know they're not pics of 31's but like I said earlier I think 33's look fine in a 10.5 so I figure relatively speaking the 31's would look even wider.

Dave41079 said:
Here are some pictures from when I had 31x1050x15 BFG ATs on 15X8 steelies with a 4"bs. This was all on a 1.75" BB.

See, and I thought the largest you could go was 30's on a BB. Why is this different here?

Also, what does 4"bs mean?

Thanks.

sinewave said:
See, and I thought the largest you could go was 30's on a BB. Why is this different here?

Also, what does 4"bs mean?

Thanks.

What I get out of the Stevens article (linked) is that even at stock height and bumpstops, 31's will not rub anywhere except the fender and flairs. From my understanding, they also rub the LCA at full crank, but thats an aside from the main issue here. So, if you trim extensively they will fit stock. By lifting you reduce the amout of trimming necessary (as will as improve your breakover angle).

A recent chart in JP magazine on tire height vs lift size indicates "minimal" trimming (less than one inch) for an XJ with a 2 inch lift.

http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp2.html

Back