• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer Hunting

juryrigjalopy

NAXJA Forum User
Any Tips for a newbie?

I have mastered the art of killing fish and want to move onto the terrestrial hunt. My roomate is from Redding so we are leaning towards NorCal (B1 area east of Covelo). I have a left hand bolt action .270 Weatherby Magnum with scope that I will be using (needs serviced, any suggestions?). I have limited experience with guns but not with big game hunting.

Cheers,
KG

FordGuy said:
Just don't kill it unless you are going to eat it! gutting a dear is like gutting a person!

I would never gut and eat a "dear" but maybe a deer. Anyways, of course I'm going to eat the deer, that's the whole reason I would kill anything. And when was the last time you gutted a person?...kinda scary man.

OK, my bad, typing while working! they say that gutting a deer "deer" is the closest thing to what a human looks like, intestines and stuff. Hey don't worry, I am not the hunter type, but do love Venison, Elk a lot. I said that because of how many deer are shot around here and just left to rot, sucks.

Last edited:
I don't hunt with guns I am an archery guy, but lots of nice deer in that area!

Rich you are correct! It is like gutting a human!

Just don't hit the piss sack!!!!

Are you going after Deer, or larger? Don't they use like a 223 or something around that caliber for Deer and the 270-308 for Elk and large stuff?

all i can tell you is kill it fast, try to hit the heart. the longer it takes to die the worse it will taste. adrenalin really sours the meat.

FordGuy said:
Are you going after Deer, or larger? Don't they use like a 223 or something around that caliber for Deer and the 270-308 for Elk and large stuff?

I'm going after deer but I figure that if it will kill an elk, it will also kill a deer. Although elk hunting sounds fun, hauling out 500 pounds of flesh does not.

I used to hunt deer with my Dad when I was (much) younger. Your .270 will be fine. Good until about 300 yards. The mistake most hunters make is "lack of patience". Most shoot *way* too soon. Head and neck shots will give you the quick downing you want. Field dress it asap and haul it out on your back. Harvest and treat your kill with the respect it deserves. That's what my Dad taught me, and what I taught my boys. I've let many more shots go than shots taken. And I've seen more than a few carcasses, some with arrows. That's one of the reasons I don't do it anymore.
Good luck.

I think the reason for the smaller cal on deer is not to excessively hurt the meat from the percussion of the impact, but I don't know for sure. I good friend id a great white hunter! goes all over the place, Montana, Colorado, Alaska, and he's allays talking hunting crap, I don't pay that much attention, just eat his food!

This was the one I shot 2 years ago with a bow up in C1, just outside of Susanville. He was taken at 43 yds. and ran about 30 yards and dropped dead!

HuntingPic.jpg

Do they review "field dressing" during the hunter safety course? Are there any other good sources for that info?

Your .270 is an excellent round for Deer, I actually killed my first deer with a .270. My current is a .308 Ruger M77. I love it.

As for how to hunt, my biggest advice to you is DON'T STALK THE DEER! No, you're not Rambo, you can NOT be quiet enough for that deer not to hear you. A lot of it is about scouting for weeks before hunting season, see where the deer are bedding, where they eat, etc. Then when hunting season comes, you tent it or whatever at a camp, and get up and in position around 4:30. Then you sit. And you wait, for what feels like forever. But it'll pay off.

What you're doing is becoming part of the scenery, and not some new thing that's just clobbering it's way in. You'd be amazed at how serene it is. Do your best to stay still, not rustle leaves. Bring things like bottled water, string cheese, thinks that are quiet to munch on in case you get hungry.

I got a deer my FIRST trip out hunting on OPENING day. AND in socal, which is VERY rare. I'd been going with my dad, and shooting with him, since I could hold a gun. I used to hate it, he used to make me sit still for so long, and as a kid I got restless. It paid off now, as I know I can live off the land if I have to, as well as be accurate with almost anything.

Good luck man, it's an awesome feeling!

If your friend has been hunting before btw, he'll know how to field gut it, enough to keep it from spoiling, then get it to the butcher.

I bowhunt and rifle hunt, I like the 30/06 its a very versitile gun, can use it for bear pigs dear elk etc.. The biggest advice I can give to a new hunter is to hunt with the wind. Scent blockers and covers will help ( of course do not wear sented deoderant or shower with scented soaps) Keep the wind in your face so it is blowing your scent away from the deer. Look before you shoot, and try to feild dress the deer in the first half hour or so, Cut the glands on the hind legs off and take the nutsack and make a coin purse for your girlfriend!

Ahhhh....time for me to bestow my great fatherly advice to a young hunter!

Grab a beer and relax...
I'm a professional.

I have hiked many many miles to set up and wait, I have tracked and followed, I have went behind a big rock to relieve myself only to run into a trophy buck.
But the best shot I ever had was only after spending a week (this being vacation time) tracking and finally finding a truly once in a lifetime buck.
It was in central Utah, in a special hunt area. My brother in law's # was drawn for a very limited hunt, only like 25 tags issued for this particular area.
Each hunter was allowed a second tag if they so desired, my bro asked me if I would join him, HELL YA'!! was the quick answer.
Pulled the 30/06 (I don't believe that is the proper printed type for thirty ott six but whatever... :D ) and my brother took out his .270. After a couple of days I find this huge buck, lost him just as fast. The next day I return to the same area and he shows up a bit later. Third day the same thing. The hunt was in two days and we decide that this will be the place and he will be the buck I take (finders keepers!)
Day of hunt, it started snowing, and snowing...and snowing.....then the wind starts to blow. NO big deal, we head out at o-ungodly thirty and make it out to 'the spot' with plenty of time to spare. Sure the fuk enough this buck shows up on que (also not proper spelling.) I bring the rifle to sight....only to find my scope had fogged!! No sooner than I say 'fogged' my Brother in Law pulls the trigger on his rifle and the buck takes a bound or two (okay, maybe three) and drops!!

To this day, that is the only time I have leveled my rifle during a hunt....never since have I even pulled the trigger during a hunt.
Had a few shots but never took them, always felt that a bigger buck was coming down the trail.

Maybe next time!

;)

juryrigjalopy said:
Any Tips for a newbie?

I have mastered the art of killing fish and want to move onto the terrestrial hunt. My roomate is from Redding so we are leaning towards NorCal (B1 area east of Covelo). I have a left hand bolt action .270 Weatherby Magnum with scope that I will be using (needs serviced, any suggestions?). I have limited experience with guns but not with big game hunting.

Cheers,
KG

Use your speargun son and give the deer a chance.......SANTA

4xSanta said:
Use your speargun son and give the deer a chance.......SANTA

What kind of dad doesn't take his son deer hunting anyways? I think that this is why I'm not a real man yet.

It would be kinda funny to wear my wetsuit, fins, and mask and get some pics of me stalking the deer with the speargun.

Back