• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vaccum issues? Please help!

SeansBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, this is sorta related to my previous thread and issues. I ran Combustion Chamber Cleaner and forgot to disconect the canister purge solenoid. That killed it and i replaced it (working now).

However I still have a stumbling that devlops after i sit at a stop sign or light for a few seconds. Like there is a small leak that only is noticable at a stop, or like somehting is ok, till a vapor or vaccum that isnt supposed to buld up does. It's not throwing a code (as of yet any way, 3 days maybe 15 key cycles) so there is nothing to help me figure out. Does anyone have any ideas or had a similar problem that they fixed? I just transfered my reg from NJ to PA and need to get this inspected soon, i would ranther not have this issue when i take it in.

it's a 2000 xj btw.

Thanks

sounds like classic cylinder number 3 misfire.
my 00 has done this before, at a light, after "hot soak", when the engine has been off for a minute. Its not happened since i flushed the cooling system.

its just a galloping case of vapor lock.

try putting a woven glass spark plug boot on number 3 injector. A piece of header wrap works too, but its kind of expensive to buy a whole roll of it to get a 4 inch section. Some tie wraps and your'e done.

this is a fix based on the TSB

http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wj_1803103.pdf

"This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving trips and
can be aggravated by the use of fuel with a high ethanol content"

Last edited:
92Drip, unfortunatley i have had that one and know that is's not it as i know what it's like when it happens, The fix on the tsb is so so. i havent tried the cooling system flush yet. i will get to that one soon and see that may rectify it all.

As for the situation at hand, update!! I went out at lunch and have never before been so happy for a check enging light. It has been doing this for 3 days with no light. So now i can grab some codes after work (for free at auto zone of course) and update you all on what they are. Mabye then i can get some real help.

Here in CA, you can't go to AZ anymore for a free code read. Nother reason this state is retarded. I bought one because I'm in there once a month practically. I'll make it in gas money within a year not having to drive there for it anymore...:D

Ok 2 things...

1) darky, strange you say that, i tried to go to the allentown, pa location and they couldnt do it, city wouldnt let them, said it pissed off the local garages. But luckily Easton still does. (and Autisim Zone aint to bright either i knew better how to run the thing then the guy that came out) Hopefully Ill have the money for a ScanGuage some day and can pull my own codes.

2) the code is for a cyl 6 misfire. Now if it is misfiring, then it's mild becaue it only happens when im at a light etc. So i figure either plugs(cant be the wires or rotor because these sill 2000 dont have them just that silly rail) or injector. Just changed the plugs tonight, pretty crummy for Bosh Platnum at 40k but well see. Ill reset the comp by pulling the battery tommrow and see what happens.

Back