• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA's too much angle?

sprngfldxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have Rusty 4.5 coils, RE LCA Superflex, Stock UCA's, RE Shocks.
When I drive down the road I experience bumping in the front. It has been said, that Imay be experiencing either "Too Much Angle" in LCA's that it causes the LCA's to bind against the mounts or the bushings may be bad or loose?
Question: Would a Control Arm Bracket Drop be the way or going to a Adj. LCA or UCA solve it?

bumping?
Can you be more specific? Is this something you feel in the steering wheel? If that's the case it's probably bump steer and you need to look at your tracbar and draglink angles.

does it happen only when you hit bumps?
if so then yes, short arms at a high lift put the arms at such an angle where they flex less, and transmit more of the shock from a bump into the unibody. it's also pretty hard on the bushings.
Drop brackets are a good solution for the money, and put the arms back parallel with the ground.
If this is something that is a constant bumping even when on a smooth surface then that's not your CA angles, it's something rotating in the driveline.

sprngfldxj said:
I have Rusty 4.5 coils, RE LCA Superflex, Stock UCA's, RE Shocks.
When I drive down the road I experience bumping in the front. It has been said, that Imay be experiencing either "Too Much Angle" in LCA's that it causes the LCA's to bind against the mounts or the bushings may be bad or loose?
Question: Would a Control Arm Bracket Drop be the way or going to a Adj. LCA or UCA solve it?

My '98 XJ is at 5.5" and uses RE SuperFlex control arms. I believe the races on your LCAs are worn out.

THe RE SuperFlex LCAs have polymer races around a steel sphere and need lots of grease on a regular basis. The polymer races wear and you need to tighten the threaded metal insert periodically. Eventually the races wear out and have to be replaced.

My RE LCAs "thunked" with bumps in the road, more noticeable at highway speeds. When disassembled, the polymer races were touching each other and the steel sphere was loose between them. The races should not touch each other so there is room to tighten the threaded metal insert and to get grease around the races.

When I did mine I should've replaced the steel spheres also since they were rusted & pitted. The spheres are available from RE, you just have to call and ask. Here's a link to the RE/Suspension Components/SuperFlex Joints page.
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=788

You don't need the entire $42.95 kit. You just need the polymer races for each side, the control arm tool for taking the metal insert out, and perhaps a new metal sphere for each side.
NOTE: the threaded metal insert is held in place with a small allen set screw. This set screw must be taken out before trying to remove the metal insert.

Even with lots of PB and the set screw totally out of the control arm, it took a massive amount of force to get the threaded metal inserts out of the control arms on mine.

hth, Doug

Back