• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whjich large or small spade terminals on Bosch fuel pump is Positive?

Orson_Yancey

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1988 XJ Pioneer, 4.0L.
I changed the fuel pump when I had to replace a leaking fuel tank. I made sure to purchase another Bosch fuel pump, numbers on the box are:
83503634 3110-7/90

The Bosch fuel pump has large and small spade (square) connectors. Which is the positive connector and which is the negative connector? I can not see any "+" or "-" markings. I just want to make sure. I realize that the DC motor will run either direction, but in one
direction it will suck fuel in correctly and in the other direction it will blow fuel out the inlet pipe.

I have seen on the forum horror stories of some after-market fuel pumps having the electrical polarity of the terminals reversed. Thanks.

I did mine about 6 months ago but I don't recall. You obviously have the pump in hand. Hook it up to the battery and see if it squirts out or sucks in. If it squirts out, then you got it right. If it sucks in, reverse the wires. More likely than not the larger terminal will be positive. You're not going to hurt anything spinning the pump backwards for a couple seconds to see which way the polarity is.

Folks,
O.K. I found the following photo in another thread on same subject of Bosch fuel pumps:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-...sfuelpumpa.JPG

In the photo, looks like the large spade connector is the positive (+) connector. Can just barely see the "+" in the photo.

And yes I could do a bench squirt test, but I guess I should test pumping from a can of water rather than gasoline, since my jumper wires to the fuel pump might throw a small spark during the test. And then let the water dry out of the pump a day or two before assemblying and using it.

It has been interesting reading many of the other threads on Fuel pumps. It sures seems like use nothing but a Bosch fuel pump for an XJ.

Back