• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Seat won't go backwards

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
So, It's an '01 limited...and the drivers seat stopped powering backwards...it works in every other direction....just not backwards....just started this evening.
So, anyone ever been down this road???:dunno:
Thanks!

I haven't had that happen (manual seats, manual windows, only things automatic on my XJ is the electric fan and transmission) to me, but I don't recommend powering the seat forward, especially if you're 'made for comfort, not speed'.

Anyway, I'm thinking the contacts in the switch are broken. I think it's set up like a little joystick, and that is connected to power. The contacts for up, forward, and back are of course, routed to the motors (I'd think one for forward/back and one for up/down) and from motor to ground. I haven't looked into wiring diagrams, but this is just my thoughts.

both my seats stopped workin about a week after i got it. but then it's almost 20 years old too. i'm just going to replace the whole seat/mechanism when i find another one in a yard, (& have the cash to do it).

both my seats stopped workin about a week after i got it. but then it's almost 20 years old too. i'm just going to replace the whole seat/mechanism when i find another one in a yard, (& have the cash to do it).
gas

According to my FSM (for '01), if both seats are out, there is a circuit breaker in the fuse block in the passenger footwell that should resolve that. It also states that they get forward and backward simply by reversing polarity at the motor...so the motor is still good and contacts there are good cause it will go forward. So I looked to the switch. Removed switch, FSM says check continuity at a few spots...one looks funny...so disassembte switch...it looks remarkably simple, or maybe mechanical is a better word, inside the switch....all looks good...clean up some contacts....and nothing...so I trace the wires from motor back to the connector from wiring harness to switch...wiggle a few things...and it works again!
We're back in business....loose connector:yelclap:

Back