• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ, New Problems

k.smith904

NAXJA Forum User
got a new xj the other day that has a few minor problems but otherwise a solid rig. Now before i start, let me tell all the d-bags that i've searched all these but have found no answers to my specific problems. So here goes (in no particular order)

1. E-brake doesn't work all too well, it will hold on a flat surface when i try to push it or something, but on an incline such as a driveway, my xj will roll away if its not parked in gear. I'm thinking its just worn down, so time for replacement, or is it something I can get under it and adjust?

2. My fuel gauge hops around a lot. Its stable and correct for the most part but i've noticed when I go around a hard turn it will move around like 1/4 of a tank off, till I start heading straight, then it corrects itself. I know theres a float in the gas tank that measures fuel levels, is there any chance that its loose or malfunctioning? Or could this be electrical?

3. Speedometer bounces around, not a lot, just enough to notice. More noticable when turning or going over construction areas. I'm thinking the gauge might just be crapped out and its time for a new one, but could I pop open the dash and somehow tighten the needle?

4. My front left shock is really close to the inside of my wheel well and it hits up against it when going over speed pumps and other minor bumps. I have no clue about this and am wondering how to go tightening it down.

5. The steering wheel is very loose. It can be good at times on the trail, but on the highway its like sometimes I can't even relax, especially if theres a strong wind, it will just move around on its own. This could be partially due to the fact that the previous owner lifted it 3 inches but still has OEM tires on it.

I appreciate the help and please let me know if I need to be more descriptive about any of the above.

-Kev

Questions Year? Drivetrain?
#1try adjusting the shoes (pull rubber plug on back use adjuster spoon or screwdriver)
#3 is it a cable speedo or electric
#5 OE tires will not make a difference on 3" lift I run my originals in the winter

k.smith904 said:
got a new xj the other day that has a few minor problems but otherwise a solid rig. Now before i start, let me tell all the d-bags that i've searched all these but have found no answers to my specific problems. So here goes (in no particular order)

1. E-brake doesn't work all too well, it will hold on a flat surface when i try to push it or something, but on an incline such as a driveway, my xj will roll away if its not parked in gear. I'm thinking its just worn down, so time for replacement, or is it something I can get under it and adjust?

2. My fuel gauge hops around a lot. Its stable and correct for the most part but i've noticed when I go around a hard turn it will move around like 1/4 of a tank off, till I start heading straight, then it corrects itself. I know theres a float in the gas tank that measures fuel levels, is there any chance that its loose or malfunctioning? Or could this be electrical?

3. Speedometer bounces around, not a lot, just enough to notice. More noticable when turning or going over construction areas. I'm thinking the gauge might just be crapped out and its time for a new one, but could I pop open the dash and somehow tighten the needle?

4. My front left shock is really close to the inside of my wheel well and it hits up against it when going over speed pumps and other minor bumps. I have no clue about this and am wondering how to go tightening it down.

5. The steering wheel is very loose. It can be good at times on the trail, but on the highway its like sometimes I can't even relax, especially if theres a strong wind, it will just move around on its own. This could be partially due to the fact that the previous owner lifted it 3 inches but still has OEM tires on it.

I appreciate the help and please let me know if I need to be more descriptive about any of the above.

-Kev

Welcome to the wonderful world of maintenance lol.

1. First I'd try adjusting the rear brake shoes like others have mentioned. If that fails, there is a long stud and nut underneath where the e-brake lever is that adjusts the pull on the rear cables. Have fun turning that thing...they're usually frozen solid.

2. Totally normal, live with it or waste your time trying to adjust the lever the float rides on in the tank. And let me tell you, that lock ring and o-ring combo on the gas tank is no fun to mess with at all.

3. I'd try the speedogear in the t-case housing first. Easy check, like 1 bolt I believe. See if the gears are chewed or if the plug is loose. After that, then I'd mess with the dash.

4. You mention you're lifted 3 inches. I have a couple guesses for this one, but I'd go check your trac bar for yourself and compare against a factory stock one. Probably most likely is the bushing on the axle end or the balljoint on the frame end is junk. Other possibilities include the previous owner redrilling the new hole for the axle end mount (to compensate for the lift) incorrectly, adjusting an aftermarket trac bar too far, or a wallowed out hole for the bolt causing the bar to shift around. This one you have to do some investigating for.
Why the trac bar? Well on the XJ suspension, the trac bar controls the lateral (side-to-side) movement of the axle. If the axle is not properly centered, then other front end components won't be centered as well including your shocks.

5. As others said, tires won't have much to do with it unless they're not properly balanced. I'd guess the trac bar issue comes into play here as well. I would definitely check the alignment as well and replace any worn steering/suspension components. He could have hacked the lift together.

So I'd say you to-do list goes as follows:
1. Adjust rear brakes
2. Check speedo gear plug and gear itself at rear of t-case housing
3. Inspect trac bar for misadjustment (if aftermarket) or a worn bushing/ball joint and inspect axle end mount for any signs of wallowed hole or redrilling
4. Check your alignment

Good luck and let us know how it goes! :D

Last edited:
k.smith904 said:

Check the adjustment on the back of the drums and check the e-brake adjustment cable. Mine didn't work when I got my XJ, and the cable was the culprit.

k.smith904 said:

So does mine. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

k.smith904 said:

Mine does this too. The speedometer is a magnetic system, IIRC, and I doubt the magnets are very strong, thus, any bump is going to cause some jitters. The advice to check the gear at the transfer case is a good one, but keep in mind, these are pretty primitive vehicles, and some stuff like this, while annoying, is just normal.

k.smith904 said:
completely forgot the specs:

its an 87 xj 2 door with the 4.0L I6 and Ax-15 tranny out of a 93. T-case and front d30 also out of the 93.

I'd still go ahead and do everything MM said....

JNickel101 said:
I'd still go ahead and do everything MM said....

while i'm at it, i might as well mention that its currently not starting, or else dying right after it starts. It drove fine for the first 2 weeks i had it, then all of a sudden this. I've asked around and it seems xj's from 87-92 have pretty crappy wiring, and I was instructed to check grounds and basically go through my eletrical system with a volt meter. This sound about right?

k.smith904 said:
while i'm at it, i might as well mention that its currently not starting, or else dying right after it starts. It drove fine for the first 2 weeks i had it, then all of a sudden this. I've asked around and it seems xj's from 87-92 have pretty crappy wiring, and I was instructed to check grounds and basically go through my eletrical system with a volt meter. This sound about right?

Yup!

Check, bypass and/or replace ballast resistor.

Check, clean and shine up all your grounds.

DMM can tell you alot. Get the specs and check the sensors.

Depends on who you ask about the wiring. PO could have messed things up too.

ParadiseXJ said:
Yup!

Check, bypass and/or replace ballast resistor.

Check, clean and shine up all your grounds.

DMM can tell you alot. Get the specs and check the sensors.

Depends on who you ask about the wiring. PO could have messed things up too.
may sound like a stupid question, but what are my grounds?

i was also reading it might be the CPS, where do I find that? gonna try unplugging it and plugging back in. Is it the sensor between the engine and tranny on the drivers side?

Last edited:
Update: Re-plugged the CPS and started her up. Sat fine for a while but then the RPM's starting dropping while in idle. I noticed my oil pressure was at 60 when I started it and quickly climbed to 80 when I shut her off. Does this mean I need a new fuel pump? What is causing my oil pressure to be up so high?

k.smith904 said:
may sound like a stupid question, but what are my grounds?

i was also reading it might be the CPS, where do I find that? gonna try unplugging it and plugging back in. Is it the sensor between the engine and tranny on the drivers side?

Yes. CPS is located on the bellhousing on the driver's side. Do a search and you'll find a wealth of info on it. Most recently I read this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197260

Ground strap from driver's side block to firewall.
Ground cable from battery to block.
...and...there's another one in that vicinity...anyone??

Your fuel pump has nothing to do with oil pressure. If your pressure is pegging at 80 it could likely be the sending unit located by the oil filter ($13.00 at AutoZone and 2 minutes to replace).

ParadiseXJ said:
Yes. CPS is located on the bellhousing on the driver's side. Do a search and you'll find a wealth of info on it. Most recently I read this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=197260

Your fuel pump has nothing to do with oil pressure. If your pressure is pegging at 80 it could likely be the sending unit located by the oil filter ($13.00 at AutoZone and 2 minutes to replace).

good deal. i'm gonna shine those grounds and pick up a new sending unit on the way home from work and we'll see how that goes

ParadiseXJ said:

Battery to block (at the dipstick)

Battery to chassis (commonly overlooked)

block to chassis (at the firewall)

k.smith904 said:
Update: Re-plugged the CPS and started her up. Sat fine for a while but then the RPM's starting dropping while in idle. I noticed my oil pressure was at 60 when I started it and quickly climbed to 80 when I shut her off. Does this mean I need a new fuel pump? What is causing my oil pressure to be up so high?

Was it still running when it hit 80 psi? or was the engine turned off, with ignition in the run possition?

If it was till running, it could be the sensor contact (Oil pressure switch is between the the oil filter and firewall, threaded into the oil filter adpater, with one wire attached) is loose and dirty, or a bad oil pressure sensor, bu I had that problem on my first 87 when I bought it, and it also had power problems at higher rpms which was from a blocked Catalytic converter. Replaced the Cat converter, and the oil pressure readings dropped about 20 psi. Then I replaced the oil presure sensor and the gauge reading dropped another 20 psi, to about 40 psi max.

Ecomike said:
Was it still running when it hit 80 psi? or was the engine turned off, with ignition in the run possition?

If it was till running, it could be the sensor contact (Oil pressure switch is between the the oil filter and firewall, threaded into the oil filter adpater, with one wire attached) is loose and dirty, or a bad oil pressure sensor, bu I had that problem on my first 87 when I bought it, and it also had power problems at higher rpms which was from a blocked Catalytic converter. Replaced the Cat converter, and the oil pressure readings dropped about 20 psi. Then I replaced the oil presure sensor and the gauge reading dropped another 20 psi, to about 40 psi max.

engine was still running.

I'll take a look at the sensor contact and see if its loose. My power has been great at higher RPM's so my cat should be ok.

UPDATE

Changed oil, oil filter, and air filter today, and at least the idle seems fine.

I noticed when I removed the old air filter it was black and looked like there was oil in it, i don't know what would be causing this but I'll try to read up on the problem.

Everything seems to be fine except for the damn oil pressure. It jumps a little over 60 PSI at idle, and I'm trying not to move it at all as I don't want to screw anything up further. I'm going in the morning before work to pick up a new oil sending unit to see if thats the problem (are those universal?), but any other suggestions are welcomed. I'm suspected a possible vacuum leak, but the sun went down before I could investigate.

-Kev

Short of a serious engine blow by problem, the oil on the air filter is a common problem on 4.0s. It is usually caused by a clogged vacuum vent tube on the rear of the valve cover, or by the PO screwing with the vacuum lines and mixing them up. Search for "Crank Case Ventilation" in this forum. IT is one of the easier fixes on XJ!:D

Ecomike said:
Short of a serious engine blow by problem, the oil on the air filter is a common problem on 4.0s. It is usually caused by a clogged vacuum vent tube on the rear of the valve cover, or by the PO screwing with the vacuum lines and mixing them up. Search for "Crank Case Ventilation" in this forum. IT is one of the easier fixes on XJ!:D

an easy fix? on an xj? nahhhhhhh, ill give it a shot though hehe

Back