• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd MJ OEM wheel fit problem...

Ol' Smokey

NAXJA Forum User
First off I will apologize for being an idiot (this is where you hit the back button and move on...)

Ok, let me set the scene for you:

Found a '91 4.0 2wd 5speed MJ on craigslist for 700 bucks so I picked it up (duh). Wheels and tires looked crappy but oh well, I'll replace them when i get a chance right?

Dont ask me why but- I went out and got a great deal on 5 factory aluminum wheels/tires off 87 4wd cherokee and just assumed they would bolt right over (wrong). So I proceeded to jack up the front end and removing the wheels, figuring it be rusted so I proceeded to use a 50# sledge to try dislodge the old wheels. Spent about 30 minutes swinging and cursing and gave up.

Took it to a local tire place and paid them to swap the wheels. Apparently the dude who previously owned the MJ wedged Dodge Caravan wheels on the MJ and called it good. I dont know how he did this since the centerhole on the wheels are smaller than the hub itself and is why I couldn't get them off in the first place... Anyways, the tire place took 30 minutes to remove one front caravan wheel and started putting on the aluminum wheel. They came back in to the lobby and proceeded to tell me that the tapered centerhole on the aluminum wheels do not fit over the hubs. Great.

So my question now is... Does anyone know what used OEM options I have for my 91 MJ? Did they change the dimensions on the hubs between 87 and 91, or is it a 2wd vs. 4wd wheel problem...

Anyways, any (positive) insight is appreciated...

:huh:

I find it hard to believe, the wheels run the same pattern for all years of the XJ.

i have 2 2wd comanches in my care. i interchange wheels regularly w/ 4x4 xj's
maybe the hub is damaged? what wheels are you trying to install? were they for a ford? fords have smaller hubs, its common practice to mill out ford wheels to fit on a mustang.

maybe theyre trying to sell you wheels for a ford? or theres crushed crap in there from your hub caps?

I've got my winter tires mounted on 89-90 Ranger/BroncoII wheels (the 15X6 5-spoke aluminum with fake allen head screws around the edge) and they fit fine on my '87 MJ 4X4. Something sure don't sound right!

Back