• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 problems

DRIVERLOST

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i am stuck but only to wonder what is wrong. my 4x4 will not work. you can free spin the drive shaft while xj is off and sitting in gear not moving. someone had told me this was because the ring and pinion is done for. i had it out yesterday just goofing of a little. thought what the hey will try 4x4. maybe by chance it will work. it didnt. but while transfer case lever is in 4x4 position. (in 4 high) was a lot of vibration and the sound that something was not ingadging. with vibrations feeling like they are coming from transfer case and not coming up through the drive shaft. was about to buy a used axle this week. but not sure if thats what i really need now. if anyone could be of help that would be great. as there is alot of trails around my house i would like to go tackle. i live in breckenridge CO. so if anyone is near that would like to help would be great also.

ok so just ran out to double check. while motor is off in first gear. in 2 wheel position. front axle will free spin. also put in to 4 high while in park motor off. axle will still free spin but can hear a clicking noise in transfer case while free spinning by hand. the xj is a 98 5 speed. from what i have heard that year does not have the vacuume system to engadge the 4x4.

No, there is no vacuum disconnect for that year. Seems like either your linkage isn't adjusted properly, thus something is not engaging, or something inside your transfer case is fubar.

Begster said:
No, there is no vacuum disconnect for that year. Seems like either your linkage isn't adjusted properly, thus something is not engaging, or something inside your transfer case is fubar.
yea thats what i am thinking. i have had it on the lift and tryed to engadge it by pulling on the linkage from under the truck. would the transfer case have anything to do with the front drive shaft free spinning. is the frone always engadged with in the axle or only while in 4x4?

would the transfer case have anything to do with the front drive shaft free spinning.
=====================================================
NO ! you front driveshaft should not free spin. Something in the front axle has gone south.

Your tcase: Do you have full time? If so try shifting into part time hi and low. No full time or drivshaft still spins in part time.
Remove linkage from tcace and try shift it at the tcase.
Still no help. You need a tcase too.

cool cool......... i was a little worryed it may be both and its starting to sound like that. so from the sounds of it new t case and axle it is. one more thing is a ring and pinion hard to do. i can read the book and have the tools. but if the shims are a pain in the a** or anthing else is guess i got to drop the money at the shop.

badron said:
would the transfer case have anything to do with the front drive shaft free spinning.
NO ! you front driveshaft should not free spin. Something in the front axle has gone south.

Your tcase: Do you have full time? If so try shifting into part time hi and low. No full time or drivshaft still spins in part time.

so let me get this right. the front axle never disengadges in the axle only at the t case? sorry i am a bit new to 4x4. been building turbo VW's for the past 8 years. new to 4x4 systems.

badron said:

x2.....

but if the shims are a pain in the a** or anthing else is guess
====================================
Can be. If it's the ring gear. Pop the cover and have a look. If this is the first time you tried the 4WD and it's a used XJ. You may have no ring gear at all. Ant I just a bundle of good news. But I have seen it before.

DRIVERLOST said:
so let me get this right. the front axle never disengadges in the axle only at the t case? sorry i am a bit new to 4x4. been building turbo VW's for the past 8 years. new to 4x4 systems.
Yes, unless it's a 84 to 91 with a dico front end or aftermarket locking hubs ,the axles are always engaged unless something is broken.

Back