• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RADIATOR SWAP

XJANDTJ

NAXJA Forum User
I HAVE A 89 CHEROKEE 4.0L AND AM HAVING OVERHEATING PROBLEMS.I SAW AND ARTICLE ON OFFROAD.COM ABOUT SWAPPING A 1992 RADIATOR (OPEN SYSTEM)AND HEATER VALVE INTO A 88 OR 89 CHEROKEE.HAS ANYBODY HEARD OF THIS ?

I swapped a 98 into my 88, and as far as the heater valve is concerned, I just capped off the part that is no longer used. This is one of the best mods I have ever done. I'll bet that if you search you'll find all the info you need.

capslock.jpg

Hey I have done this one twice. Did it to both my 87 and my 88. I got the Idea when I was working on my 95 and went hey this is alot easier to get working right. I just went to carquest and bought all the hoses and radiator. I do have the heater control valve bypassed since I live up here in alaska. Good luck its not all that hard just remember to remove the whole front fiberglass clip to make it easier.

I am planning this also. As my 89 is having issues and my guess is that it is the radiator so if I am going to replace it anyway I might as well upgrade to an open system.

searched, but could not really find what was involved in the swap, so does anyone have any info on it for us??

Thanks.

Dirk

Thanks Bryan,

You do make it sound a little complicated, but I am guessing once I have the parts in hand it will make better sense.

Dirk

Back