• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with power steering...

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
Well asked a few questions in mod forum and got like 3 replys. Need to know where locally (if its possible locally) to get a PSC pump at a great price?

Also need to know if my 1990 has a plastic or metal resevoir. Can someone with a 1990 or 1989 take a look at theirs and see what it has please? my Jeep is about 60 miles away in storage and wanted to get the pump and other stuff needed before I go get the jeep.

I am hoping to get the alt and power steering fixed before Bens weekend. Well see...

Clean-RC said:
Don't know if local for PSC other than all pro offroad... but your 90 should be plastic reservoir.. Mine was.. Went with alum reservoir and all braided hoses..

Cool, thats what I seemed to remember. Well I called PSC they are in TX adn they swear it goes out the same day or next and only should take 2-3 days to get. so thats not so bad. And PORC will let the 1480k full conversion kit go for 477 delivered. so unless my search quest today turns up something different, I will order it from them in the morning, as well as the 2lo kit and new chain for the TC.

Never had My TC apart hope that goes ok lol...

cool. pretty much confirms that I need the 150$ more expensive kit. haha nothings ever cheap huh.. oh well the pumps ready for full hydro after this at least.

Robert, the 2lo kit doesn't require much work to install, I'm not even sure you need to split the cases.
Install yours first, then tell me how much work it took (mine will be next) but it seems to me I read about a quick one hour job there.

Rick

I was hoping it was a quick in vehicle job. But then read a set of instructions posted online and it starts with the case split. Thats why I will do the chain also while I am in there.

ROBERTK said:
Cool, thats what I seemed to remember. Well I called PSC they are in TX adn they swear it goes out the same day or next and only should take 2-3 days to get. so thats not so bad. And PORC will let the 1480k full conversion kit go for 477 delivered. so unless my search quest today turns up something different, I will order it from them in the morning, as well as the 2lo kit and new chain for the TC.

Never had My TC apart hope that goes ok lol...

I deal with PSC all the time and if they say there sending it out you can count on it......SANTA

Last edited:
4xSanta said:
I deal with PSC all the time and if they say there sending it out you can count on it......SANTA

You can count on something..........I have all PSC but I have gone through 9 pumps!

Although their customer service is quite impressive. I will never go wheeling without a spare in the tow rig.

cracker said:
You can count on something..........I have all PSC but I have gone through 9 pumps!

Although their customer service is quite impressive. I will never go wheeling without a spare in the tow rig.

I hear and read alot on the reliability of the PSC pumps but whenever it was jeep related and they listed a model or application it was the 1200 or 1300 series pump.

Which do you have Avery? I heard that the 1400 series is a significant improvment in reliability and performance?

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
from what i hear psc pumps are straight up crap....

there a thread on PBB right now about how most after market pumps are shit.http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660101&highlight=koh+steering

P.O.S seems to make the best in hydraulic steering....

here's a link to a guy selling 2 of their pumps brand new:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699203

i just bought their fully hydro setup myself......NOT CHEAP.

Well that being just the pump, I would still have to buy a bunch more crapola (brackets, res, etc)

So I am still leaning PSC 1480K

ROBERTK said:
I hear and read alot on the reliability of the PSC pumps but whenever it was jeep related and they listed a model or application it was the 1200 or 1300 series pump.

Which do you have Avery? I heard that the 1400 series is a significant improvment in reliability and performance?

I went through a bunch of the N pumps and a P pump. I am going back to the TC with an external resevoir.

As this point I really don't give a shit which pump it is at this point as long as it works. Make sure you run ONLY synthic fluid with a HUGE cooler.

cracker said:
I went through a bunch of the N pumps and a P pump. I am going back to the TC with an external resevoir.

As this point I really don't give a shit which pump it is at this point as long as it works. Make sure you run ONLY synthic fluid with a HUGE cooler.

TC pump?

English please....

:D

Jump This said:
TC pump?

English please....

:D

Stock pump (re-worked/higher pressure) for the tards out there :looser:

cracker said:
Stock pump (re-worked/higher pressure) for the tards out there :looser:

wow they told me the TC pump is not recommended with the pressure I need, and that the P pump in the 1400 series (1405 or 1480) is the way they would like to see me go for pressure needs.

ROBERTK said:
wow they told me the TC pump is not recommended with the pressure I need, and that the P pump in the 1400 series (1405 or 1480) is the way they would like to see me go for pressure needs.

Dunno the details but it doen't seem to make much difference. DaveT runs the TC and PaulS runs the N and they both are fine. We all run full hydro though and it might be different with hydro assist or mechanical. Goat runs a TC with his hydro assist and enjoys that (and he even placed 7th at the KOH event with it).

Last edited:
Some of us still are running 35's (well, some of us still own a Cherokee too!)
and still run a bone stock PS pump.........although after this weekend, I'm thinking it needs a little help!

Jump This said:
Some of us still are running 35's (well, some of us still own a Cherokee too!)
and still run a bone stock PS pump.........although after this weekend, I'm thinking it needs a little help!

Call Dave and speak to him. He'll share some good insight. Go full hydro and you'll never regret it. You're at that point aren't you? :D

Back