• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waterpump replacement

phxZ31

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing the water pump. New water pump came with a typical fiber/paper gasket. Do you guys also use RTV in addition to the gasket? I always have in the past I've always used Permatex blue in addition to the gasket for water pumps and thermostat housing, but recently I've heard mixed messages about this. Some have suggested to me that just the fiber/paper gasket should suffice.

Any advice is appreciated.

Clean the block surface thoroughly. I'll use a light layer of RTV black on both sides (I've had bad luck with that blue stuff - stick to black for GP work, and copper for high temperature or self-grounding sensors...) - mainly to help keep things stuck in place while I'm reaching for screws and getting them started.

Light layer is all you'll really need. There are people who will also swear by Permatex Indian Head shellac (I'm not one of them) and Gaskacinch (never used it,) but RTV to me is more of a tool than anything else. It helps keep things where I put them while I'm doing something else. Or, it helps with things that are difficult to seal and/or keep sealed (valve covers and manifolds in particular.)

I just replaced my water pump last week, and agree with 5-90...just a light coat of black RTV spread around with my finger to help with the seal and hold the gasket in place. I don't like the idea of a heavy bead of that stuff squeezing out and floating around in my coolant. Seems like it could potentially block a heater core tube.

Exact same. Just finished my water pump on Thursday, and a tiny bead will do. Don't forget to teflon the pipe that extends out to the hose to the heater core.What do you guys think about that spray on stuff? I think all it does is hold the proper gasket in place, like a light glue.

I have never had any luck with RTV on a waterpump or thermostat housing. Rather, I use the permatex gasket adhesive. A very thin coat applied by a gloved hand over both sides of the gasket have been my choice for years. Failure to use gloves results in badly stained hands. This stuff is tough.

The only time I use RTV is for intake gasket ends and for when I couldn't get rubber valve cover gaskets. I thin layer all over the valve cover gasket and allowed to set for a while increased the longevity of the cork.

... And for the water pipe I used a special sealant from ARP. It has an adhesive with little bits of teflon in it. It works great for headbolts that go into the water jackets.

Vertigo said:
... And for the water pipe I used a special sealant from ARP. It has an adhesive with little bits of teflon in it. It works great for headbolts that go into the water jackets.

For both, I use Harvey's Pipe Dope. A PTFE paste I find at the local hardware store, plumbing section. No trouble, and easier to apply than Teflon tape...

i would just use the gasket, thats what it is for. if you add all that goop too, it will just be harder to clean if you ever need to replace it again. also depending on the year, one of the waterpump bolts theads into the coolant passage. it should be sealed with teflon sealant or plumbers putty

Back