• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking about starting over. How much $$$

ROKRWLR

NAXJA Forum User
I never thought I'd say this, but.....

I'm thinking about selling of my 2000 XJ and getting something older that I can turn into a rock buggy. And a Daily driver that gets better gas milage.

What dou you guys think I should set as a starting price for mine? I have no idea where to start with this one.

www.xj2k.rockcrawler.com has a good description and pics.

2000 XJ Freedom

Front End:
Skyjacker
6” Rock Ready Coils
Rubicon Express
Control Arm Relocations
HD Adj Track Bar
Mountain Off Road
Steering Brace
Rusty’s
Steering Conversion
Bar Pin Eliminators
JKS
Quicker Disconnects
Upper Shock Mounts
Earl's Stainless Brake Lines (TJ)
2” Bump Stop Extensions
Pro Comp
Lower Control Arms
Shocks

Rear End:
Alcan 5.5” Leaf Springs
1” Shackle
Cross Enterprises Rear Shock Hoop
Earl’s Stainless Brake Line (TJ)
Pro Comp Shocks

Protection/ Body:
BPI Fab Non-Winch Front Bumper
4 Links Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
Off Road General Store Super Nerfs
Rusty’s Engine and T-Case Skid Plates
Tomken Gas Tank Skid Plate
Jeep TJ Fender Flares w/ Fender Trimming

Driveline / Engine:
Flowmaste 50 series muffler and custom pipe (up high)
Rusty’s Air Tube / K&N Filter
Rubicon Express
Slip Yoke Eliminator
CV Drive Shaft - Rear
Dana 30 TJ w/ 4.56 Gears – Open
Chrysler 8.25 w/ 4.56 gears
PowerTrax No Slip Locker
BF Goodrich 33x12.50 MT’s
Pro Comp 15x8 Black Rock Crawler Rims

Oh yea.... The Jeep itself has:
32,600 miles
I also have the Jeep 7 year ?mile extended warantee (transferable)
Cruise
Tilt
Power windows and locks
Auto Trans
Factory CD and Cassette
AC
Dual Airbags
rear wheel ABS (not 4 wheel ABS)

And an alarm with remote car starter (what a fun toy)

Blue book for the Jeep itself right now is:
$12,575 (Stock)

What dou you guys think I should ask?

Thanks guys....

Sonny:cool: :cool:

Last edited:
Hmmm why not build up yours even more? Selling a built up rig is ussually kind of hard, and taking yours back to stock would make it look kind of funky :D

I saw the pics from BOTW2 and it seems like there is few obstacles that XJ (well built up) can handle :D

Kejtar

I'm starting to feel bad about the places I'm taking this one... especially since it is relatively new and I'm still making payments. And its my daily driver now.

It seems that the easy and moderate trails just don't interest me anymore, and I have to go search for truly chalenging trails now.

The ones that are chalenging enough are the type that if i screw up I total the XJ. I guess it sounds weird, but i want a Jeep that if I roll it or bash in some sheet metal, I won't mind so much.

ROKRWLR said:
The ones that are chalenging enough are the type that if i screw up I total the XJ. I guess it sounds weird, but i want a Jeep that if I roll it or bash in some sheet metal, I won't mind so much.

Sounds like a perfectly good excuse to build an exocage to protuct the sheet metal you currently have:D That way if you roll, the exo will save your sheetmetal or at least in theory.

AARON

Don't think that though hasn't crossed my mind many times.....

I could just imagine the looks on all of the associate's faces at my firm if I were to pull up in a beast like that. It's almost worth doing it just for that....

I have an '86 Xj Laredo 4 door I'm trying to get rid of. It is a 5 speed with the 2.8L but the motor is locked up. Make me an offer.

I might even be able to deliver it to you. Might be making a trip to Colorado Springs in the next few months.

Well..... EXO it.... my XJ is my daily driver as well, and already has couple dings in it, herculined lower parts of doors, pinstripes all over, TJ flares on the front, rusting rock rails and well.... as long as it looks taken care of noone should say anything..... What I mean by that, don't drive with 3 week old mud on it, just hose it down as needed :) and so on....

Personally, even though I rarely ever have to go out to customer sites (I'm a developer) when I go, I drive my XJ there :D

Plus if you roll it, then just collect insurance and buy the leftover piece back and then think about rebuilding :)

Kejtar

You guys are all bad influences.....

Basically, If I can get something worthwile for it, I'd sell it....
If not I'm going to end up doing the type of things you guys are talking about....

You can find Renix 4.0 XJ's for less than $1,000. You can switch all your goodies over (most will fit), and keep your 2000 for your DD.

Really, other than maybe an engine rebuild for the older one, you'd have two perfectly capable XJ's designed for different uses, and you won't be in the poor house.

CRASH

What the hech are you talking about Rok? My Gawd....are you a total puss? ITS ONLY MONEY! A friend of mine got tired of me complaining about damaging my toys.....he asked me what I was working for? To pay bills or to pay bills and have some fun? I will never forget his advice....just suck it up and go out and play....
BTW you will never get much of your money back when you sell a toy like ours........

Actually, the only way mine was gonna be worth anything was to hack it up & go full bore with it. The body's only worth maybe $50 but the suspension more than makes up for that. :D

I have experience the same problems (concerns) that your going through. I have a 98 XJ. My Jeep has everything (almost) anyone wound want and every time I go to desert or to Los Coyotes, etc. I see the scratches I said to myself that is why I built it! So try to keep in mind what your rig is built for. Hope this helps.

Craig

Hey, that's my jeep! Why do you have a picture of my Jeep as an avatar, but I don't?

I know I need to iron my skirt and take a man pill and all of that crap and just keep the Jeep....

Yeah thats a tough one!I paid 22K for mine,still owe 10K,and have put 10K into it.Athough I get those "what the h*ll am I thinking" thoughts,I still wouldnt do it different.Ive just crossed 16K miles and cant really go back(Long Arms)!

We should have a newer Jeep owner's chapter. Where we can all go and bitch about modding a new one and then paying the consequences of playing.:D

I feel your pain guys. I paid 19,500 for mine in May of 2001. It's paid off and I've put 58k miles on it, but I still know how you feel. I'm takin mine to the body shop in a few months to get a lot of stuff fixed. I hate my buswackers, so they're coming off, but I have all those holes now, so those are gonna get fixed. Then acccident damage is gonna be fixed and my chopped rear quarters will be welded up. I'm not gonna be wheelin till at least Thanksgiving, probably Christmas due to mismatched gears front to rear, so I figured I could at least getting it looking nice again. Peace

Ary

P.S. I thought about the selling and starting over.....unless you start over with an XJ, it's just not worth it $$ wise, and even then it's a stretch.

Last edited:
So Ary? what are you going to do for the fronts????

Btw, my 98XJ has over 120K on it, and as I said before , herculined sides, tweaked rear due to a landing on a rock with the qarter panel which has put a dimple about foot down from the top on the right side by the hatch.... the right front fender was pulled in by my own tire during a compress/turn.. it's kind of straigtened out now, but you can still see the crease, then all the chips and dings and scratches (pinstriping)

My long term plan is to build it up slowly and then in a year or so get a new DD and keep on this as a trail only rig. THat way I know the engine, and all the components and their maintenance history and I don't have to deal with too many unknowns...

Kejtar

I agree with the newer Jeep forum. There are alot of mods that are different on the newer XJs, or cant be done at all.

On selling yours don't worry about it getting pin stripped and dinged, remember, they were ALL new once. I used to worrie about my '99, then it got smashed driving home from work, rolled twice. Never had ANYTHING even close to that on the trail so I replaced it with a '00 with 22,000 miles. The first thing I did was strip the suspention. Yea it has minor scratces, but that is why I bought it.

I think it's pointless to bash up a nice new one unless money doesn't matter at all. Buy an older XJ, swap every last part over, and sell the newer one. I even felt bad trashing my '93 that I paid $6000 for about 5 years ago, but once it got wrecked & totaled, I bought it back for $400 and fixed it all up, it's been much more fun since because I don't worry about it.

If you sell it with the mods you'll lose a ton.

Back