• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33% Antifreeze/66% water OK?

phxZ31

NAXJA Forum User
As the title says. I live in Phoenix AZ, its hot here.

In my 300ZX I typically run less, like 15% antifreeze/85% water. Is 33/66 OK for the XJ? I notice mine typically runs right at 210* according to the gauge, whereas my Z usually runs around 190*.

I realize the system is pressurized so the boiling temp is higher, but I don't want my coolant to boil in the AZ heat. What do you think?

fsm states 67% and above is too high of a concentration. We mix everything 50/50, usually good to -40

nevermind read it wrong. 33% coolant to 66% water is fine, what about the other percent??:dunno:

you will probably be ok. antifreeze has a lower heat capacity than water, so your cooling system will actually be able to pump more heat out of the engine. i would just make sure that the water you are putting into the system is clean to prevent corrosion. how cold can it get there? with 50/50 the freezing temp is something like -60F and 60/40 water-antifreeze it's somewhere around -30ish F. i would expect 66/33 doesn't freeze at more than -10 tops. i know it's the desert, but i also know it can get cold at night... hope that helped. btw, i've taken an engineering class or 2 :read:

edit: just reread the OP...your Z has a different engine. different engines are going to run different. my xj runs at 210 when it's 5 deg out or 95. gotta love new england.

bcmaxx said:
nevermind read it wrong. 33% coolant to 66% water is fine, what about the other percent??:dunno:

hmm... beer?

k thanks guys, thats what I figured.

On an abnormally cold winter night, it never gets much below 20*F, and thats pretty "extreme" for Phoenix. I just wanted to double check. All my experience in working on cars comes from my Z, I just want to make sure the XJ doesn't require any special treatment. I always get screwed when I make "assumptions", ya know what I mean?

Coolant also lowers boiling temp, so some is good, but for your climate I would think you are pretty close to the right target. Before you go pure water, keep in mind that it turns to steam long before it boils, and water expands 1700 times when it turns into steam. Coolant helps keep that from happening.

I also run water wetter in my engine and that really seems to help.

I have a 4.6 stroker in my ZJ and run 70% water, 30% coolant, and a bottle of water wetter. Between that and my 2 core all metal radiator, water pump with flowkooler type plate, and fan clutch mod my ZJ NEVER gets above 190*.

I am planning on the same mixture for the 89 XJ this weekend. I also run distilled water as it corrodes less (or so they say).

The XJ likes to run warm it apprears, but only had it for a week or so and replaced the water pump and t-stat last weekend just need to flush the system and refill this weekend and see how it performs now.

I got the XJ bone stock to use as a DD as the ZJ with the stroker is killing me on fuel (13-14mpg of 91 octane brings the hurt each fill up) so hopefully I can get the XJ cooling under control this weekend so I can start driving it next week.

I just want to make sure the XJ doesn't require any special treatment
======================================
Ho! you will be giving your XJ a LOT of special treatment before your done.

100% water:
Water has no anti-corrosion agent as anti freeze does. Well anti freeze IS the anti corrosin agent. It also acts as a water pump lubricant.
But if anyone wants to run water. Just find a rad cap for about 19 PSI. This cap and 100% water will give you about the same (((boil over protection)))) as a 16 ponder and a 50/50 mix. It MAY NOT cool the engine as well. It will just stop a boil over!!! Any coolant in the engine at almost any temp. Is MUCH better then running a dry block. This is the thinking behind rad caps with very high PSI ratings.
If your wondering? Your water pump seal will blow before a good fresh rad (no plastic) will.

Back