• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Died while driving down the road, now it won't start

dbxtr3

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving my 1989 XJ Jeep 4.0 automatic to the lake Sat. and it died just driving down the road now it will not start. It has to be a fuel injection problem. The story below...

On Sat. my wife and I left our house jumped on the hwy. to head to the lake. It was about 95 degrees out which is the hottest I have driven my Jeep in since I got it. We had been on the rode for about 1 hour when we meet up with a friend a Dairy Queen. The jeep was doing great water temp 210 after 1 hour on the hwy at 65mph ( I have an all metal 3 row CSF). All a sudden it started missing for about 10 seconds then died while sitting in the drive-through. I cranked it over about three times and in final started. We left got back on the hwy then about 5 miles down the road the XJ just died cruising at 55mph (it was like someone turned the key off NO missing or spuddering) I coasted into a gas station. Popped the hood and checked everything out it was all O.K.. We tried to start it for like 1/2hour. I checked all the fuse under the dash, fuel pump is running, & fuel pressure at the fuel rail. We spary starting fluid in the intake and It fired right up and was running smooth until it burned up the starting fluid then died. I don't believe the motor is getting any fuel.

I have a spare parts Jeep the has a running motor I can get parts from where should I start?

1. I was going to check the fuel presure at the rail. (To make sure there is enough psi)
2. Swap Ecu's
3. Change out fuel rail and injectors

Did you possibly look at your fuel pump ballast resistor? That could cause a start - then die - condition. Other than the starting fluid indication, did you check for strong spark?

Check for spark and fuel by removing the plug. Don't start a fire.

Check the coil if no spark. I had my ZJ crap out on me after replacing the coil 300 miles prior. It happens alot. That would cause a crank with no start and a lot of wasted fuel.

Check to make sure the wires to the injectors are good. I don't know the wiring precisely but an unplugged injector makes it run like crap, however it doesnt really hurt anything since there is no gas just running through and washing out the inside/hydro-lock.

Since it will start with starting fluid and has pressure seems like the injector plug or a relay or a fuse you over-looked. I would put money on that based only on what you've described.

If you have any other description, please share.

Hope this helps, might be a little scatter brained but I'm in the middle of Finance studying and need to get back. PM me if you need help and I'll do my best.

personally i would replace the rear fuel filter back by the tank (11.99 autozone) for S&G's then check the pressue at the clips by the fuel tray if its still having issues. If its fine there then take the injectors to get cleaned (50.00 a piece pretty much anywhere) or new ones. another thing to check and i only say this cause its what happened to me, i thought it was fuel as well but it wasn't, it was the clip off of the distributor that goes back towards the firewall, it wasn't getting a good connection. Good luck as well

I talked to the previous owner today he said he put a new fuel pump in it about 4 months before he sold it to me and he changed the fuel filter when he did the fuel pump. It also has new plugs, wire, cap and rotor. I will be work on it later this week I got it back to my garage yesterday. I cut my hand at work today and had to get 6 stitches so I working with one hand sucks.

I will keep the thread up dated on the problem when I take a better look at it.

ParadiseXJ said:
Did you possibly look at your fuel pump ballast resistor? That could cause a start - then die - condition. Other than the starting fluid indication, did you check for strong spark?

The ballast resistor is brand new. The previous owner replace it the week I bought it.
I have not checked the spark but I will as soon as I get out to the garage, but I believe it's good and not getting fuel.

anodyne33 said:
Try a known good CPS.

Agreed. If your fuel pressure is good and there is no spark, I would first trace the wires from the CPS to the engine bay connector. Verify the wiring as I've seen several cases where the connector breaks the connection. If the CPS wire harness looks good, I'd opt to replace the CPS.

Hope this helps,
Kent

I looked at the Jeep today. First thing I found was that the fuel rail has no pressure on it now and the fuel pump didn't prime when when I turned on the ignition. I will check the fuel pump relay voltage then voltage at the pump and post back later.

My 88 did that sort of thing, check your CPS Wire. Mine was burned and shorted on the manifold. I have a New mopar CPS for the 88 That I didnt use if you decide you need of those. Good luck.

It was the fuel pump. One of the two spade connectors on the fuel pump just came unplugged from the top of the fuel pump. Spade connectors on a fuel pump assembly that sits in a tank with 20 gallons of gas sloshing around. Brillant DESIGN!!!

Now that I have been tearing my jeep apart fixing it up I am beginning to think that Jeep hired and used the dumbest engineers on the face of the planet . This vehicle has SO MANY terrible design it blows my mind it even runs.

Back