• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Drop Install Question

anotherskait

NAXJA Forum User
So next weekend I plan on installing a set of RE drop brackets and braces onto my 92 XJ.
I've read everything there is to read around here, and read RE's instructions, but still have an outstanding question.

The second instruction is to "Properly support vehicle by frame allowing front axle to be serviced."

The braces run from the lower control arm mounts back to the transfer case, which doesnt leave very much frame open for support. I have to disco upper and lower control arms (one side at a time) - so how should I support the rig while I'm doing this. Just block the tire (front and rear of the tire) and then go to town? Jack it up and put a jack stand under the axle?

Who's done this before?

you have to disconnect the upper and lower ca's from your axle and I dont think supporting the vehicle with the axle you are working on is a great idea. when I did mine the axle was out and the vehicle was supported by the "frame rails" just behind where the drop brackets mount. Thats what I did and I know it works but do what you feel is right... Your will still need to support the axle to alighn the ca's with the mounts.

sorry I didnt notice you said braces too. I think you can do the braces after the initial install of the db's, if you were to leave the bolts loose... let me check and see what the re site can tell us about this...

I did mine while I had the axle out, and I put jackstands under my ARB bumper mounts where front frame rails come in contact with the front crossmember.

Rogersjeep - So you just left the weight on the spring, (blocked the tire, I assume) and unbolted both control arms? This is what I was planning - glad to hear it worked for someone.

It was a little bit of a PITA but I did not see the need to bring out all the extra tools.
I removed the UCA and just disconected the LCA at the frame and losened it on the axle. Also had to use a come-a-long to move the axle in to place because it will move a little(forgot to block the front axle).

Back